Chapter 5

╔══════ °° ══════╗

Eddie followed behind me on the walkway to my house. My heart was beating heavily against my chest and my hands were shaky as I reached for the doorknob. He was going to follow me right in the house, but once he stepped inside the door with me, I stopped him and took Abel's backpack off his shoulder.

Eddie smiled as I looked at him. I hadn't paid attention to see if dad's car was home, but even if it wasn't, I still felt ridiculously nervous just looking for one parent. Abel took off running into the living room, going straight for his toys. I followed him there, relieved to see mom sitting on the couch reading a magazine.

"Mom?" I nervously stood behind the couch.

She lifted her head and turned to look at me.

"Hi honey, how was school?"

"Good. Um, I have a friend here that wants to meet you." I rubbed my hands together. I felt like I couldn't keep them still.

"Oh."

"He was wondering if he could go to the park with me and Abel."

"He?" Mom stood up and walked closer to me.

"I tried telling him this wasn't a good idea," I cleared my throat, "But he insisted on coming, anyway."

"Who is this boy?"

"Eddie Munson."

"That last name sounds familiar." She thought about it.

"He's at the front door."

"Let's go say hi then."

"Wait-" I grabbed my mom's hand and stopped her.

"What?"

"Promise me you won't say a word when you see him."

"Say a word about what?"

"He-"

"Oh, come on, honey. It's rude to keep guests waiting."

I knew mom better than anyone on this planet. Sometimes even better than dad knew her. I had enough knowledge to know her facial expressions would say exactly what her mouth wouldn't. Eddie wasn't the type of guy they would have ever imagined me bringing home–under any circumstances.

I was glad it was mom rather than dad, though. Mom rounded the corner, stopping when she saw Eddie standing there. He dressed pretty similarly to the first night I met him. Ripped jeans with a chain connected to two belt loops, a band t-shirt, those dirty white reeboks, and a bandana hanging out of his pocket. On his left hand, he had three rings that were on his ring finger, middle finger, and his index finger. On his right hand, he had a single ring on his ring finger. On both hands, he had bracelets that resembled chains, and the closer I looked, I finally noticed his tattoos.

This is going to be so bad.

I glanced up towards the ceiling, imagining that I was seeing right through it while mentally begging for some help here.

"Hi, Mrs. Tolliver." Eddie stuck his hand out. At least he was being polite.

"Hello. Are you related to Wayne Munson?" Mom shook his hand.

"He's my uncle."

"It's very nice to meet you. Edward is it?"

"I prefer Eddie."

"My apologies," Mom smiled. "Eden was telling me how you wanted to go to the park with Abel?"

"Yeah, I hope that's okay. I ran into her on my way home and we just started talking. Saw the little squirt and thought he might like the park."