Chapter 2

╔══════ °° ══════╗

My mom could tell that I had a rough night as I was pouring myself an extra large bowl of cereal for breakfast. Dad was already off to work. The job he had at the church was very demanding. Abel was still sound asleep, so I made sure I was quiet as I got ready for school.

Mom watched me from her spot at the kitchen table, drinking her morning coffee and reading yesterday's paper that dad left out on the table. I brought my bowl with me and sat across from her.

"Rough night?" Mom asked.

"Just had a hard time sleeping." I said.

"Was there something bothering you?"

I sighed. I promised Chrissy that I wouldn't say anything, but lying to mom was wrong.

"Yeah," I thought about it deciding to tell her about something else that was bothering me, "I usually read some of the bible at lunch and lately I've been getting a lot of stares from other students. They look at me like I'm weird."

"Do you feel weird reading it at lunch?"

"Not exactly. Well, not until recently."

"Has anyone talked to you about it?"

"No."

"Then you shouldn't worry about it, honey. I didn't know that you read it at lunch. I think that's really nice."

"Do you think god would be mad at me if I didn't?"

"Of course not," Mom said. "He would only be mad if he stopped all together. Reading it at lunch is your choice–a really beautiful choice."

I smiled at mom. She always knew how to give the best advice. That wasn't exactly what was bothering me, though. I was thinking about it all night. I was also thinking about how Eddie Munson thought I was uptight. I didn't think that I was. He didn't know me. How could he say that?

He had no room to be talking. I wasn't the one selling marijuana in the middle of the woods. If he thought that about me... did everyone else, too?

"Would it be okay if I started hanging out with Chrissy a little more?" I asked.

"I don't see why not." Mom said.

"Thanks. Gotta go before I'm late." I said.

"Go on, I'll clean up."

"Bye mom! I love you."

≪ °❈° ≫

Seeing Chrissy walking down the hall when I entered through the school was such a relief. She was heading towards the gym and my locker was in the opposite direction or else I would have caught up to her to ask her if she was okay.

She was probably just using me yesterday. C'mon, Eden. Be realistic here. When has Chrissy Cunningham ever been interested in being your friend?

The thought crossed my mind as I twisted in my combination. I think I got my hopes up that I could be friends with Chrissy. I just wished I had realized what she was doing before I had actually gone with her to meet Eddie.

Slamming my locker shut, I tucked my books into my arm and headed for my first class. English was always my favorite subject, so I always enjoyed going to this class, even if it was first thing in the morning and I was tired.

By the time I reached lunch, however, I was really fighting to keep my eyes open. The lack of sleep was finally catching up with me. I was too tired to even pull my bible out, not like I wanted to, anyway. Mom reminded me ‌it was my choice when to read it. I was even too tired to eat, so I picked at little pieces of my food, trying to find something in the cafeteria to catch my attention.