Chapter 4

╔══════ °° ══════╗

When Eddie dropped me back off at the party, Chrissy was already outside waiting for me with Jason. She had a smirk on her face and he looked shocked. I didn't know why they were staring at me.

"Can we go Chrissy? I'm not comfortable being here."

"Is the party too boring?" Jason wondered.

What was that supposed to mean?

"Jason, be nice."

Jason looked down at Chrissy, leaning in and pecking her on the cheek. She leaned back towards him when he pulled away and copied his movements.

"We can go."

As we walked back down the road, I felt bad that Chrissy was leaving the party for me. I should have never gone. Deep down, I knew I was going to be uncomfortable. The silence between us made me feel even worse. She surely wouldn't want to be my friend after tonight. I didn't blame her. We were two different people. She was the outgoing, bubbly, and kind cheerleader that got along with almost everyone. I was the weirdo who carried around a bible with her at school.

I would have called mom and dad if it wasn't late. When they picked me up, they would know something was wrong. I didn't want them to suspect anything, so I kept quiet as we walked back into Chrissy's house.

I followed her into the kitchen, watching as she opened her cupboards and pulled a few things out.

"Let's make brownies. While you tell me exactly what happened with you and Eddie Munson tonight."

I leaned against the counter as I fought back a smile. There was hardly anything to tell her. Yet, I was so excited that she asked that I couldn't help but start laughing. I used my hands to cover my blushing face.

"Come on! I'm dying over here. Tell me!"

"Nothing happened. Eddie saw how stupid I looked standing in the corner all by myself and saved me from my misery."

"Were you really that miserable?" Chrissy frowned.

"Yeah, but nothing is your fault. Parties aren't my thing, I guess."

"I saw you and Eddie sneaking off. What did you guys do?"

"Remember that spot we met him the other night? We went back there and just talked."

"You guys only talked?"

"Yeah."

"Lame!"

"How is that lame?"

"You were alone with a boy and all you did was talk? What do you mean? How is that lame? You guys could have kissed or something."

"Why would I kiss a guy I don't even know?"

"Why not?"

"I have self-respect?"

Chrissy didn't need to know that I've never kissed a boy.

"Fair enough. What did you guys at least talk about, then?"

"Nothing really. Kind of about how parties are lame. But he invited me to come watch his band play at the mall tomorrow."

"Really?"

"I can't go though."

"Why?"

"I just can't."

"Bummer."

"It will be alright."

Chrissy finished making the brownie batter and then popped the baking dish into the oven. Then she grabbed an extra spoon and handed it over to me, pushing the bowl in between the two of us. Brownie batter was the best.