"Hey Ari," she greeted the little girl when Taehyung put her in her seat, strapping her in. The baby smiled at her, wiggling her stuffed penguin.
Cassandra smiled as well, reaching out to tickle her foot. Almost not hearing Taehyung climbing into the driver's seat, putting on his seat belt and starting the engine.
She noticed his expressionless face as he drove off, worrying her a little. "Is everything alright?" She decided not to ask what took so long. He nodded, looking sternly onto the road in front of them. "Yeah, no.. just something weird happened." He sighed then and his features began to soften back to their normal state. "When I went to pick her up, her grandmother wouldn't even look me in the eyes. She was just holding her in her lap and rocked her slowly. She ignored my existence. And when I insisted on having to leave, she.. she stood up, placed her in my arms and left. Even her husband was confused." He paused, recalling the incidents of that evening. "However, when she came back she seemed.. I don't know. Not so gloomy anymore. And  apologised for walking out. She even looked me in the eyes and smiled when I bid them goodbye."
"Oh," she smiled excitedly, leaning back into her seat. "Guess my words helped a little after all."
"W-wait what?" Taehyung shot her a puzzled look, almost turning the steering wheel as her words took him off-guard. And he quickly focued back on the road. "You spoke to her?"
She bit her lips, realising she might have made a mistake. Unsure about his reaction, she sunk into her seat more. Nodding quietly. And much to her surprise, he only laughed under his breath. "You know, I'm used to that. To her not wanting to give Ari back. I'm used to that. But it was a first for her to just.. leave. What did you tell her that changed her mind?" A genuine astonished expression on his face. He wasn't mad, what a relief, Cassandra thought before shrugging.
"I just.. I guess I understood where she came from, as a mother. And I told her the truth, that she didn't need to worry. That you were doing a great job."
Taehyung licked over his lips as he thought about her words. And how she always seemed to defend him. Even when he wasn't around. He felt his cheeks blushing. "Thank you."
She shook her head. "No. It was nothing. You know I think you're a great dad. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."
However, Taehyung remained silent. Only an aching feeling spreading inside his chest at her words. Unsure whether to object or not. He wanted to. He knew it wasn't true. And yet, couldn't. Because he wished she was right.

They sat there in silence the rest of the ride. It started raining again, lulling Cassandra who hadn't slept enough. Her eyes slowly falling close. Ari also soon fell asleep as it got late for her. Leaving Taehyung alone with his music and thoughts.
He peeked at the sleeping girl next to him ever so often. Her curls were cascading towards the side her head was inclining to. Rosy cheek pressed against the glass of the car window as her long eyelashes were laying still. And he thought that Cassandra was quite a special person after all. Her hands might often be cold. But her heart was warm.

»»»

A few hours later, the car came to a halt in front of the apartment of Cassandra's parents.
Cassandra yawned and stretched her arms, still drawsy from the little nap. He watched her unbuckling her seat belt then. Observing her gathering her belongings.
"I really don't know how I deserve all the things you do for me, but thank you either way," he mumbled then. Almost absentmindedly as his gaze rested on her and she paused in her tracks. Her eyes slowly wandering up to his. Seeing a shy smile ghosting over his lips and she shook her head with a sad one. She leaned over the handbreak then. And in a swift move, cupped his cheek. Placing a kiss on the other one. Her lips warm, hot even, while gently pressing on his skin. Lingering there for only a few seconds, but really, it felt like an eternity to them. The world falling into complete silence in that moment.

She pulled back then. Expecting a face of shock or confusion. But instead he was just staring at her eyes, softly. Not saying anything, as if he waited for her to speak up first. Or perhaps simply didn't know what to respond to her irritating gesture.
"Goodnight, Tae." And without any further explanation she got out of the car. Not wanting to give him any time to respond or react. She didn't want to hear it anyway. Walking fast to the entrance door while firmly clutching the straps of her backback. Her blank mind slowly recovering, starting realising what she had just done. And panic began to rise as she pressed the button of the doorbell frantically. Praying her parents would hurry up.  The door started buzzing then and she pushed it open. Thankful for escaping that awkward situation she had put herself in when his chesty voice suddenly echoed in the silent night. "Goodnight, Cassandra."

And with that the door closed behind her. And she felt her heart burst.

She didn't know where this sudden courage had come from. Maybe his words had just moved her so much. Because they were always so genuine. So carefully placed. And backed up by many actions, so maybe that was why they hit differently.
Her mood suddenly began changing. Something inside her was sick of it. Sick of everything. Of her feelings for him. Of the fact he'd never reciprocate them. Of the fact he probably didn't even notice them. Of the fact she'd always be stuck in the friendzone. Of the fact she was only capable of being subtle and never straightforward. And she was tired. Physically and mentally. The sudden realization of her reality came crashing down on her all at once and she felt bitter.

So when her mother opened the door and greeted her happily, she only faked a smile and went straight to the living room where Isavella was. Her daughter laying on the couch, sleeping save and sound with her favourite teddybear. And she sat beside her. Gently grabbing her little hand and caressing it. Ignoring her mother's questions about how the trip was. She wouldn't be able to truthfully answer them anyway.
Her phone vibrated then and she saw a notification from Taehyung on the lockscreen. Her mind already rushing to conclusions. Of how he'd be telling her off. Or asking her what the hell was wrong with her. She didn't want to read them. However, curious as she was she ended up unlocking the phone after all. Her brows raising when seeing photos instead of text.

One was a selfie they had taken on Saturday. Both wearing their round black sunglasses, making a funny face with their icecreams in their hands. She remembered that one, smiling to herself.
However, she didn't recognise the others. They were of her. In one she was sitting at a café. The one they had stopped by to drink something at the main square. Her elbows were propped on the table, cheeks resting on her hands. A pout on her lips. The sunglasses had slid down of the bridge of her nose, her eyes glimpsing behind them. Observing something she couldn't remember anymore. 
The second one was her laughing after getting a bit water splashed onto her striped palazzo trousers. She was looking happy. But what also surprised her was that she liked herself on the photos. She usually never did when others took any of her.

Tae (9:45pm): forgot to send you these :-)

He had taken photos of her without her asking for it. Huh.

»»»