57. Weeping On A Battlefield

Start from the beginning

I stopped walking and pulled her closer to me, my armour clinking against hers. Our lips were so close we shared the same air. "Whatever happens tonight, I—"

Asmara snarled, her eyes darkening. "Don't say it. It sounds like a goodbye, and I refuse because we're both going to be okay." She didn't let me speak, forcing my lips to hers and she kissed me deep, needing and wanting that I gave in and kissed her back.

When she pulled away, she turned and continued walking, refusing to let us say anything that might become a goodbye.

Desmond was waiting for us just past the last of the burned homes. He looked like shit, covered from head to toe in mud, sweat and blood. Some red, some black as he had taken down vampires and runes.

I could smell it. The smell of blood was thick in the air as it saturated the earth where bodies had fallen. We were just a mile away and we could all hear the screams and roars in the distance. I could swear I saw Asmara tense, but her face revealed nothing. She was closing of her emotions, detaching herself in the hope that her mind could be saved from remembering this in the future. I prayed for her that it would. Prayed for all of us that we might survive this without damage to our minds.

Desmond's eyes raked over each of us, then dragged along the army we had brought with us. His face relaxed with relief. "I was beginning to think you were never going to show up in time. It is my fault for doubting you."

I wasn't offended. I clapped him on the shoulder, thankful he had kept the lines intact. "Are they close to breaking through?" I asked.

"Yes, but we still have a few moments. I've received word that the Southern boarder has been broken through, but they were met by Adrenous' army before they could fully take advantage of it," he said with a rushed breath, like his life depended on it.

"Then I'm not worried." And I meant it. I had seen Adrenous' army in action when I was a little boy and they were a strong force. Adrenous wouldn't let them through and with Alivia helping to buy them all time...

I feared for the army that tried to break into my territory because they weren't going to leave it alive.

Asmara looked at me, a proud smile on her face.

"How many Vampires are we facing on this side of the boarder? An estimate?" I demanded.

"Hundreds, maybe six hundred if I had to pick a number."

With that in mind, I asked Asmara," How many do you think you can hold at one time?"

She thought for a moment, tested the magic within her. When she looked at me, I had never seen her so sure of anything. "Dozens at a time. Will that be enough to buy you all time?"

I grinned but it was dark and twisted, a death promise to those soldiers I was going to cut down with her help. "Of course it is."

I turned in Des's direction. "Go, we're right behind you."

Desmond nodded and ran back into battle.

I yelled, "Follow him, help hold the lines!" My army roared and raced past us, the sound of battle cries filling our ears.

Asmara breathed heavy, adrenaline preparing her for what was to come. "Are you ready?" I asked her.

She smiled and then began to shout, mirroring the battle cry on the soldiers lips and took my hand as she pulled us toward battle.

✨🌗✨

- Asmara

Torben and I raced across the field, where the boarder onwards was consumed by battle. People fought hard and with such brutality, I winced. It was for a second, brief and quick and then I withdrew my emotions from what was happening not that far away. I forced myself to take it all in, the fighting, the sounds, the smell and let it fuel my anger instead.