55. A Moment to Grieve

Start from the beginning

"You have nothing to worry about." She now avoided my stare and rubbed at her face, as if that could remove the exhaustion now so visible I could see how badly her body was begging her for rest. I could sense it through the mate bond now and hated myself for being too distracted to notice how hard she had been pushing herself.

I was the reason behind it. She needed to push herself past her limits because she was determined to be out on the battleground. To help buy us all valuable time that could make or break us in this war.

"I have nothing to worry about?" People were starting to stare from the training room. I gently grasped Asmara's wrist and lead her out into the hallway which was empty. I spoke more quietly than usual when I said to her, "You're pushing yourself too hard. You're not sleeping, not eating properly like you should be when you're using so much of your magic. You can't carry on like this."

She rubbed at her eyes again, like being a part of this conversation was enough to exhaust her. She tried to look awake and hide that she was desperate to crawl into bed and sleep for days when she finally looked at me again. I did not buy it one bit. "I have three days left to train. Just give me three days please and then you can force me to rest, and I'll listen to your advice regarding my health but for now I need to do this. For all the lives my powers could prevent from being lost in this war. It's because of me this is happening in the first place, and I can't sit back and rest when they're..." She couldn't bring herself to continue when she had to bite back the sting of tears.

I pulled her against my hard chest and stroked my hand soothingly down her hair. "Shhh... None of this is your fault." I kissed her head, hating that she blamed herself for all of this. She was not at fault for Draven's own choices. "And I'm sorry but I can't let you exhaust yourself like this. When it comes time for you to do your part for all of us, you'll be too sleep-deprived, and you could die because of it. I refuse to risk your life, you hear me?"

She nodded her head, too tired to speak.

"Besides," I carried on, letting that smile of pride show again, "You did good in there, those runes won't stand a chance against you."

"Do you really think I'm ready?" She pulled away from my chest, wanting to see my face. Her eyes brightened when she saw how proud I was of what she'd managed to accomplish.

"Yes," I said and kissed her. "Now, do me a favour?"

"Yes?"

"Eat until you can't eat and sleep until I come and find you later."

She rolled her eyes. "If it will make you happy."

"That's my princess, I'll see you later tonight."

"Where will you be? Will you be taking your own advice?" She teased but she was also genuinely concerned. She knew I was exhausted too and had been working extremely hard.

"I will be but there's something I need to do first."

I had spent time non-stop putting things in place for this war and training. Everything was finally where I wanted it all to be and I'd finally have time in a long time to do what I'd been waiting for since I was a boy.

"Only if you promise not to be too long." She kissed me and nipped my lip, a promise of something more later.

Goddess, how I missed touching her body and being inside her.

My eyes ignited with lust and my wolf practically begged me to find somewhere private and fuck her. But she needed sleep, and it would be best if she was rested too because I wanted to take my sweet time with her.