Chapter 6

Here are two mood boards for
Nawal & Ahad

Here are two mood boards for Nawal & Ahad

–

6| Nawal

The ride home was silent except for light music playing from the radio. I had gotten a hold of my tears and finally stopped crying, considering Sarah's advice– to enter my new life with a smile on my face instead of tears in my eyes.

Ahad parked the car in the driveway of our house where the rest of his family was standing in front of the doorway for our welcome. Ahad got out and opened my door, helped me out of the car and led me to the house where aunty gave our sadqah before we entered the house.

"Masha Allah! Welcome home, beta." Aunty kissed the top of mine and Ahad's heads and uncle ran a hand over my head and hugged Ahad.

Ahad handed me over to Zoha Appi and Rumaisa then sat down in the living room with his parents and Sameer bhai.

My two sisters-in-law carefully took me upstairs and into Ahad's room where I sat on the bed. The room had been decorated with rose petals and candles were lit up in spontaneous spots around the room– the typical wedding night room.

"Bhabhi, do you want us to help you with your hair?" Thank God, they offered.

"Yes, please!" The two got to work with the pins in my hair that held my dupatta on my head and then put my hair down from the bun they were in. We brushed my hair as well as we could and I removed my heels before sitting up on the bed. Zoha Appi draped my dupatta over my head and left the room.

I noticed my suitcase sitting in the corner of the room, in front of the closet but it was the least of my worries right now. My hands were sweating because of how nervous I was and I couldn't stop rubbing them on my thighs and biting my lips. I had no idea what was going to happen tonight and I was going to be alone in a room with a man, my husband.