"Let me!" she pleaded, "I can't...!" The pressure on her throat intensified. "The chambers, they're at the back of the fort. On the top floor!" she groaned out. "Now, I have told you what you want! Please let me go!" she pleaded. Tears ran down her cheeks.

"Not so fast, my little dove!" he said gently. "Where are the chambers of Rajkumari Jodha Bai?"

"That... that.... No, I... I can't!"

"Oh yes you can! I'm sure this will help loosen your tongue!" The steel cut deeper into her throat. She felt something warm running down her throat. Horrified, her eyes popped out of their sockets.

"Maalik, I... please!" The dagger pressed unabated against her neck.! "Her... her chamber is at the very back of the floor! But..." She slapped her hand over her mouth. "Hey Kanha, what have I done" she muttered in horror!

"You did the right thing my dove! What else were you going to say?"

"Nothing... nothing at all!"

"Oh I think but I am interested!! Bolo!" he groaned threateningly!

"The Rajkumari is not in the fort!" She closed her eyes! When would this nightmare end! Tears ran down her cheeks.

"Where is she?" her tormentor asked sharply.

"She... she has disappeared!"

"Disappeared?" Sharif ud-Din hid his surprise!

"Since.... the attack...on Amer! And...and...now...let...me...go!" The words came choppily, punctuated by sobs.

"There is a search for her?"

"Ji! But so far...so far...she hasn't been found!"

"Listen, my little dove! You won't say anything to anyone about our nice little chat! Not a single word! Believe me, I'll find you even in the farthest corner of the fort! And then my dagger will finish its work!" He pressed the dagger emphatically against her neck.

"I... I will say nothing! Oh please... please don't betray me! No one must know about the Rajkumari's... disappearance! Please... please let me go!" she squirmed in his grip.

Sharif ud-Din put his hand over her mouth again. And pulled her with him. Cautiously he looked out of the alcove at the busy courtyard. His eyes widened at his sight! Jalal! So he was in the fort. Jalal, Abdul, Fadhil and the little Rajput bastard who had threatened him in Agra were walking across the courtyard! His jaw clenched and anger boiled up inside him as he remembered his defeat in Agra.

"Go, mingle with the people! But don't get any stupid ideas! I'm watching you! Got it? Jao!" He let go of her. She quickly covered her neck and face with her dupatta and hurried away. In the busy courtyard, no one took any notice of the girl who ran quickly across the courtyard. He watched her go until she disappeared into one of the surrounding buildings. The frightened little mouse would say nothing to anyone. Of that he was convinced. His dagger had done enough convincing. He twisted his face into a mocking grimace. So Jalal was in the fort! Why had he come to Amer? Was he having political talks with the Raja? Well, that had to be it. Probably negotiating the alliance that Munim Khan had withdrawn! What business was it of his! He was here for something else! Jodha! So she had disappeared? Why had she disappeared? Surely she had been taken out of the palace with the other women. What had the girl said? No one knew about it? So they wanted to cover up the fact that she had disappeared. "Very strange!" he murmured. He had to ask around! He glanced around the courtyard again. Jalal was gone! He pocketed his dagger and stepped out of the alcove. He mingled with the merchants again. After leaving the fort again unmolested with the merchants, he made his way back to his lodgings. There he lay down on his bed and clasped his hands under the back of his head. He thought. The maid would keep her mouth shut. He was sure of that. How should he proceed?