♡ 22 | Bad luck

Your breathing is heavy with how silent the woods are. Everyone's scattered from one another and now you truly are alone with Fushiguro. His entire demeanors changed. He's even more closed off than before. Neither of you make a peep as you're hiding behind tree trunks.

You can hear your heart beat loudly against your eardrums. The darkness of the woods amplify your fear. Now you have the roadblock of potential cursed spirits coming towards you. The only cursed spirit you've ever witnessed was Orimoto. Her appearance still appears in your dreams now and then to haunt you.

Something touches your shoulder and your first reaction is to jolt and yelp. A hand quickly clasps over your mouth to muffle your voice. Fushiguro glares at you in the darkness with his dark blue eyes. He raises a pointer finger over his lips with his free hand. Fushiguro then signals his finger up.

You nervously raise your eyes up. There you see a cursed spirit bouncing from one branch to the next. The shape looks like an oversized tarantula. The hairs on your arms stand up straight as you stare at the creature mortified. It's preoccupied making it's web among the trees. Fushiguro carefully releases his hand away from your mouth.

Fushiguro then forms his hands together, a gentle whisper leaving his lips. "Nue." In an instant an owl-like shikigami appears. It's loud caw grabs the attention of the tarantula cursed spirit. The two begin to fight. The owl pecking at the spirit while the spirit spits out acid.

Both you and Fushiguro quickly back away from your hiding spot. A bit of the acid lands on the tree trunk you two were seconds ago. The bark begins to melt upon contact. You can't imagine what you or Fushiguro would've looked like if the two of you didn't react. Fushiguro's shikigami looks troubled when one of it's wings gets caught in the web.

Fushiguro clicks his tongue, his hand readying to form another shikigami. You feel useless when you watch Fushiguro handle things on his own. The two of you are suppose to work as a team. Before Fushiguro says a word, you raise your hand up. The first thing you have to do is restrain the cursed spirit.

Focusing intently, you render the tarantula from pouncing on the shikigami. You'll be straining yourself but you raise your other hand towards the shikigami. You motion your hand as if you're pulling the shikigami free from the web. Thankfully it works but your focus breaks from the split second of victory. But your efforts aren't wasted when the shikigami easily bites the head off of the cursed spirit.

The body lifelessly begins to fall. Fushiguro scoops you off your feet as he jumps aside. The cursed spirit lands with a heavy thud. "Not bad Y/L/N-senpai. Could be better but...you didn't lie about carrying your weight." Fushiguro looks away from the cursed spirit to rest his eyes on you.

You nervously hop out of Fushiguro's arms. His sudden touch startled you more than the cursed spirit. Clearing your throat, you run your fingers through your hair. "I can't let you be the hero when I'm your senior. I should be the one to protect you Fushiguro."

There's no response to your words. Feeling embarrassed, you turn around and sigh quietly. That was just a single cursed spirit. How are you going to be able to kill more than that if you're already so shaken up? You don't have time to think for long when you hear something rustle in the bushes to your right.

Darting your eyes over, the creature lunges out at you. You reflexively raise your hand up. What you see before you is a deformed cursed spirit. One that looks like it's meant to be a panther but a failed experimented one. It's long arms claws at you.

You wince from the scratches. A growl sounding like a wolf lunges at the panther, giving the spirit several bites against its body. The dog shikigami grabs ahold of the panthers nape and rag dolls the spirit. It cries out before becoming lifeless.

You lower your eyes to gaze at your injuries. "I should've acted much quicker." Fushiguro curses himself when he stands by your side, mumbling. The boy seems to blame himself. You lower your arms and gently pat Fushiguro's right shoulder.

"I'm still in one piece. That's two down, right? Let's keep going." A tiny smile laces your lips. Despite trying to comfort Fushiguro, you can't feel your legs. You were riddled with fear the moment the second cursed spirit jumped out.

Fushiguro is no idiot. His eyes stare right through you in the darkness. "It's okay if you're scared Y/L/N." Fushiguro speaks in a soft tone. "This is a cruel way for Gojo to train you." The boy grumbles at the mention of Gojo.

You watch Fushiguro squat down with his back towards you. He turns his head slightly to see you from the corner of his eyes. "Get on. Let's head back to the training ground. Your injuries need to be tended to."

Pursing your lips, you hesitate to take his offer. The last thing you had wanted was to be dead weight. But Fushiguro's silent stare urges you to comply. "I'll accept the piggyback but we're going on with the training. Otherwise I won't be able to hone my skills."

Fushiguro easily lifts you up as your arms wrap around his neck. You feel your face heat up from the close proximity. This entire scene easily embarrasses you. You're unsure when the last time you've had a piggyback ride. Let alone receiving one from someone you hardly know.

There's a silence in the conversation. Neither of you speak up as you focus on your surroundings. You can't do much else than to focus. The two of you are extremely vulnerable in this position. There's a snap of a branch from behind causing you and Fushiguro to tense up.

The two of you either have terrible luck or wealthy luck with your encounters of cursed spirits. You whisper into Fushiguro's ear. "Carefully let me down." Fushiguro clenches his teeth in response. You watch Fushiguro's Adam's apple bob against his throat.

Without a second wasted Fushiguro slowly and carefully squats down for you to get off. The two of you then turn around to hear more branches crunching. Fushiguro shields you this time by standing in front of you. You try to calm your breathing when you sense something different. The crunching of branches stops the moment you two stare ahead.

There's another sound rustling from behind you that catches your attention. You're quick to press your back against Fushiguro's. Are the two of you surrounded? This is no good. You're sure your body is by far exhausted with how much you've used your powers thus far. The scratches against your arm still stings.

The worst situation happens when several figures show themselves. A total of four large cursed spirits the shape of bears appear. You mentally tell yourself that these are low grade ones. But so are you. Being bears means their strength alone is nothing to think low of.

"Can you handle two of them Y/L/N?" Fushiguro whispers by you. You're not even sure yourself. But if you don't, you won't be the only one injured. You fight against your fear that begins to intertwine your body. You give a curt nod in response. There's no time to run when the two of you begin to stance in a fighting position.