♡ 9 | Avoiding

The sound of rustling and bustling pulls you out of your sleep. You sit up abruptly when you realize you've fallen asleep in class. Your vision is ablur as you quickly blink to adjust to your surrounding. You nearly let out a yelp when you notice someone sitting close beside you. But their sleeping face keeps your sound stuck in your throat. 

Kamo is sound asleep beside you, his chest heaving up and down slowly. The book is still propped up and you're surprised no one had woken the two of you up. Not like anyone would have the courage to speak up to Kamo anyway. Him being in seniority. Did he fall asleep waiting for you to get up? He could've just stirred you awake.

You nervously take a longer gaze at the boy. His sleeping face is much more relaxed than his usual expression. Kamo must be exhausted to fall asleep so easily like this. You reach into your skirt pocket to see a text from Inumaki. The text says him and the others will be at their usual spot for lunch when you decide to wake up.

Putting your phone away, you take another look at Kamo. Not wanting to stir him awake, you carefully get up from your seat. You ponder on the thought of getting him a drink before he wakes up. Making up your mind, you quietly leave the classroom. You walk your usual route towards the vending machine. 

Thankfully your drink is restocked. A smile laces your lips when you insert a few extra coins to grab two of the same drink. The soft thud fills your ears when they land at the bottom. You quickly grab the purchased drinks before heading over to meet the others first. Like Inumaki's stated, the three are eating lunch at the same picnic table like always. 

Nothing seems out of the ordinary. "I can't believe I fell asleep in class." You sit yourself down by Inumaki while starting up a conversation to the others. Inumaki shakes his head with a look of disappointment but he snickers instantly. "You guys could've woken me up." You look over to the three. Okkotsu doesn't meet your eyes, his focus on the food in front of him. 

Orimoto scrunches her nose and shakes her head. "And ruin your sleep time with Kamo? No way. It was a shock to see you both sleeping so soundly together though. You're going to be the latest gossip today." Orimoto giggles while sipping her juice bottle. 

Orimoto's statement doesn't sit well with you. Being the gossip around school is far from good. You change the subject, looking over at Okkotsu. "Is your phone on Yuta? I tried calling you this morning but it went straight to voicemail." Okkotsu reaches for his phone in his pocket, the battery life still green when he shows it to you. 

Weird. Okkotsu shrugs, his eyes still not meeting yours. "I didn't get a call this morning. Maybe you misdialed?" His voice is low.  You purse your lips, unsure how to respond to that. 

Clearing your throat, you change the subject. It seems like you're always steering the conversation elsewhere. "Kamo spoke to Toge and I yesterday about wanting to explore Tokyo. Are you two--". Before you can continue, Okkotsu speaks up. 

"Rika didn't you say you want to go to the library before lunch break is over?" Okkotsu looks over to Orimoto who nods her head vigorously. She quickly tidies up their bento boxes. In a matter of seconds the two stand up from their spot. Okkotsu rushes a quick apology before the two leave.

Something tells you that Okkotsu is purposely avoiding you. But why? What changed from yesterday to today? The way he doesn't meet your eyes anymore makes your heart sink. You clench tightly against the cold beverages in your hands. 

Inumaki elbows your arm to grab ahold of your attention. He tugs your frown into a smile but you're far from happy. Heaving a sigh, you droop your shoulders. "I guess it'll just be me and you with Kamo. Speaking of Kamo, let's go see him. He's still in the classroom asleep." 

You rise from your seat with Inumaki beside you. You refrain from sulking as you walk back into the school building. Inumaki looks flustered in what to do since speaking his mind is out of the question. You notice him from the corner of your eyes typing and erasing things on his phone. The two of you turn the corner and quietly step inside the classroom. 

Kamo is still sleeping soundlessly. You're careful to return to your seat while Inumaki sits down in the seat in front of your desk. He points at Kamo, wondering if he should be the one to wake him up. You shake your head no, raising your pointer finger over your lips. Gently, you set his drink down on his desk. 

Not thinking, you twist the cap off of your drink and it makes a snap sound. With how quiet the room is, that action alone sounds incredibly loud. You and Inumaki both hold your breaths with tense bodies. The two of you nervously look over to Kamo. His brows furrow and his eyes begin to slowly open. 

The boy slowly rubs his eyes before staring at you and Inumaki. The sight of you two makes him sit up. His eyes dart over to the clock in the center of the front wall. He groans while stretching his arms up. "When did I fall asleep..." Kamo speaks more to himself than to the two of you. 

The sleepiness in his eyes disappears the moment he sees the drink on his desk. Kamo reaches over for it without hesitation, his eyes looking over to you. You feel nervous when his gray eyes rest on your face. Swallowing the saliva that builds up in your mouth, you speak up. "The drink is for you. As an apology for sleeping while you were helping me with my assignment." 

You fumbled out a quick lie that seems believable. You hear Inumaki rustling in front of you. The boy pulls out an onigiri. He seems to struggle on who to hand it over to. His purple eyes darting from you to Kamo. Kamo silently reaches for the onigiri before terribly splitting it in half.

Without a word, Kamo hands you the other half. You feel obliged to take it from him. A silence fills the room when you both look away to eat the onigiri. Inumaki smiles to himself as he grabs his phone to use text to speech. "You fit right in Kamo." Inumaki looks over to Kamo with a smile still on his face. 

Kamo makes no special reaction to Inumaki's statement. He washes down the onigiri with the drink you purchased him. "Thank you both for the meal. Sorry you had to sit around till I woke up. Where are you other friends?" Kamo notices the lack of two individuals. 

Upon hearing Kamo mention Okkotsu and Orimoto, you shrink in your seat. Kamo glances over to you, his eyes boring right through your soul. You part your lips to only seal them up. The robotic voice from Inumaki's phone speaks up again. "They're at the library." 

Kamo raises a brow, his attention on Inumaki. Inumaki types across his screen again. "Are you free this afternoon Kamo? We can go to one of the places you texted to Y/N." You feel a sense of relief when Inumaki steers the conversation away. You're trying to not think too deeply about Okkotsu's actions today so far. 

Kamo looks at his phone to pull up the list of things he had typed down. He points to one, showing it to the two of you. "Let's go here today." Kamo speaks softly. You and Inumaki peer at his phone to see the place he's selected. Only to be taken aback. 

'Visit a friends house after school'. 

"Have you never stayed at a friends house before?" The question blurts out of your mouth before you can silence yourself. You quickly slap your hands over your mouth and bow slightly to apologize. Your choice in words today towards Kamo is harsh. Feeling embarrassed, you wish to hide in a hole.

Kamo looks indifferent when he puts his phone away. "Not really. I don't have many people I enjoy being around." Kamo doesn't see your question as rude or he's not acting like he's offended. He answers your question as easily as you had asked it. 

Slowly nodding your head, you look over to Inumaki. "Who's house would you like to go see? Mine or Toge's?" You and Inumaki look over to Kamo. Kamo ponders on the thought before resting his eyes on you. Something told you that you were going to be his choice. You don't know why you even asked. 

You nod your head with an exhale. "Alright. Mine it is."