six

chapter six

chapter six

I told Conrad that I'd meet him in the cubby after dinner and now was that time. I already saw him go outside a few minutes ago so I quietly slipped out the back door and headed to the cubby house. When I got out of the front, I realised the reason I was going in there. I had to talk to him and to be honest, I don't even understand my feeling at the moment. I took a deep breath and entered the cubby house.

"Connie, you in here?" I called out. But there was no response.

"Conrad?" I called out a little louder, walking up the stairs to the second level. He wasn't there. 

I swear I saw him leave the house and come in here. I decided to wait a bit because he might just be doing something first. 

After 10 minutes, I was still waiting alone in the cubby house. I'll text him. 

Welp, he didn't respond

Welp, he didn't respond. I waited another 5 mins before getting up to leave. Maybe he pussied out. I stood up from my comfortable spot in the cubby house and walked down the small flight of stairs. I placed my hand on the door handle and pushed the front door but an extra amount of force pulled me and I nearly tripped over before I was caught by Connie. I brushed myself off and stood up straight, looking straight into the older boy's eyes. 

"Where have you been?" I huffed. 

"Sorry b I am really- I'm really sorry. I was just having a think," he slurred. 

"God Conrad, have you been drinking?"

"Maybe a bit," he gestured using his fingers. 

"Come up here," I said, taking his hand and leading him up the stairs to the 2nd level. 

As we reached the top, we both sat down on the small balcony, facing the beach. I pulled my knee into my chest and watched my drunk friend stare into the distance. He looked upset. 

"Connie are you okay? It looks like you have been crying." 

He responded just by nodding, not taking his eye away from the beach in front of him. I watched as a small tear rolled down his cheek.