Chapter 87

87: Truth of the Awakened

"...Overtime." Ning Ning took out a stack of money from her bag and handed it to him. "They are paying me for it."

Mu Gua leaned on the wall with his arms folded. He looked at the money in her hand with a cold and bland expression, then suddenly turned around and walked towards the room. His footsteps were heavy—very heavy, very quick—they sounded like a drum, each step was more frantic than the one before.

Crash—What fell to the floor?

Ning Ning kicked off her shoes and followed the noise.

She stood at the doorway to the room and watched as Mu Gua turned around. He was holding an overturned schoolbag in his hands, coins and notes fell out like water flowing out of a bottle, pouring down and covering the floor.

"Is that enough?" He looked up at her.

Ning Ning suddenly felt angry from the cold expression he had as he was looking at her.

"Enough?" She laughed coldly and walked over, reaching her foot out and divided a portion of the money. "This is your school fees."

She divided another portion. "This is for your meals."

"This is for your rent."

"This is for your clothes and shoes."

...

After she finished dividing the last portion, she patted the empty floor with her foot and laughed coldly as she folded her arms. "This amount of money is not even enough for yourself. Enough? Is that enough to provide for mom and me?"

Mu Gua's face turned pale.

"...But you cannot do this." He struggled to form a sentence. "You quit your original job long ago, these couldn't be money from washing dishes..."

Ning Ning gripped the money in her hands firmly, smiling out of anger. "How do you think I got all this money? What do you think...I am doing outside?"

There was an instant when she wanted to throw the money in her hands in his face, but she had held them for too long and had used up all her strength gripping on them, thus she fell and sat on the bed. A few notes had floated out of her hands, she covered her face with her hands. "You think I like to slog my guts out for another person? The weather is so cold. I don't want to wash the dishes, I don't want to say 'welcome' to please the customers, I don't want to come back late into the night to earn overtime pay outside at all..."

In the movies, the frostbites were just makeup effects, but here, they really hurt.

"...I'm a girl." Her frostbitten hands that covered her face trembled slightly. "I am ruining myself now, what would I do when I get old? After I grow old, I would not be pretty anymore. I'm not cultured, when I don't even have the strength to do labour, what would I do...? I have never thought of that."

She suddenly put her hands down and looked at Mu Gua with teary eyes. "I was thinking about you."

Mu Gua felt like he was punched. He stood on the spot awkwardly.

He took a step forward after a while. He raised both his arms slightly, looking like he wanted to give her a hug, but Ning Ning reached out and pushed him back.

"Sis..." Mu Gua looked at her, feeling hurt.

"...Don't touch me." Ning Ning lowered her head.

Right after she said those words, Ning Ning suddenly realised that, as an elder sister, as Mu Er, she had loved and hated Mu Gua. He was younger than her, weaker than her, he needed her. That was why, when something had happened to the family, it was natural for her as an elder sister to shoulder all the responsibilities, to take care of his needs and lodgings, to earn money to pay for his school fees—she also had to put up with his unreasonable bad temper.