"Mom don't worry, it's just a fun school ski trip. We'll only be up north for two weeks, and we're allies with the pack. Nothing will happen to anyone as long as we're in their territory," I say pulling her into a hug.

She sighs wrapping her arms tightly around me, and scents me for comfort. "I know, but something just doesn't sit right with me about all of this. Like, how even though there are restrictions on leaving pack territory this trip is still happening. Or how this trip was never a thing in previous years and then it suddenly came out of nowhere. Or how the Head Alpha was very insistent that all the high schoolers go. I know it's so you all can 'experience other pack's cultures' but for crying out loud you're leaving ON the day of the Winter Solstice! A sacred holiday for wolf kind," she says pulling back.

"Sofia, we've talked about this. If something was happening, they wouldn't be letting anyone leave or enter pack grounds. Not to mention the fact that Grayson and Conner are going too, which means it's fine. I think you're over thinking this whole entire thing," dad says rubbing mom's shoulders.

She sighs again. "Fine. Fine. I'll try not to think about it too much. Just promise me you'll be safe out there Elijah," she says, placing a hand on my cheek.

"I promise that at the first sign of danger I'll run for the hills and get help," I say squeezing her hand.

"Good, because if you die out there, I'll kill you," she says, grinning as she quickly pinches my cheek.

"Mom, that doesn't even make sense," I say rolling my eyes and laughing as I turn to grab my forgotten coffee.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Anyways, I made you and your friends breakfast sandwiches full of everything I would like to make for you if you had the time to enjoy it," she says pointing to the plastic wrapped goodies in a bag, on the kitchen table.

"You're a life saver mom. I seriously would have died of starvation if I only had this coffee to survive off of," I say already drooling over the thought of those sandwiches as I pour coffee into a thermos to take with me. While twisting the top on I hear a chime come from my phone. Looks like Atlantis will be pulling up soon. I give mom and dad a final big hug (trying not to cry), grab my bags, and head for the front door.

"Let me walk you out son," dad says, following behind. We go out and wait on the front porch, and dad turns towards me with a smile that a car salesman would use to try and win customers over. I have a sinking feeling that I know what he's going to say next, but I still hope and pray that I'm wrong.

"Sooo... what are your plans for the trip?"

I raise an eyebrow at him. "I don't know, have fun? Eat food, hang out with my friends, go skiing. Stuff like that."

"You know, there's supposed to be an aurora borealis happening tonight up there. An amazing light show, that some say the Moon Goddess herself creates just for us."

"Cool."

"Would be a great chance for-"

"Dad, stop."

"What! I was just saying that it's a rare moment that you could share with-"

"Grayson," I say, staring at him dead panned.

"...Or someone in general," he says scratching the back of his head.

"Right, sure." There's a pause of awkward silence as we continue to wait. Come on Atlantis, where are you?

"...But Grayson would be a great choice to go with you."

"Dad!" I say throwing my hands up, trying to hold back the anger bubbling at the surface.

Fated RivalsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara