Chapter 07 - The Decision

I wipe my feet on the rug in front of the door of the house I live in.

I place my hat and coat on the hooks of the entrance hall.

Today was a tiring day at work. Long meetings, you know?

I barely start walking toward the living room and I'm practically run over.

"DADDY'S HOME!!! DADDY'S HOME!!!"

I get startled. I look down and see two little boys jumping around me like goats in spring. I laugh.

I take them both and they fill my face with kisses and hugs. I squeeze them tenderly. I ask how was their day.

As they tell me that they found a little lizard in the backyard today, I walk to the living room. When I get there, I find a woman with pink hair and green eyes sitting in an armchair, breastfeeding a little baby girl that's identical to her.

Anya Forger.

My wife.

As soon as she sees me, she smiles, and through hand gestures, asks us to be silent, because the baby was almost asleep.

I put the boys down, walk over to her and give her a peck kiss. I look at my daughter and give her a soft kiss on her head.

I sit down on the rug of our living room and while I play with a train with my boys, I also ask how was Anya's day and I tell her about mine.

We spend a lot of time together, enjoying each other's company, chatting, having fun, and watching an episode of Bondman on TV.

Much to our children's disappointment, it's bedtime. Because of their age, they need to sleep early and they're used to having dinner before I get home. I help Anya carry them upstairs.

As she puts our baby girl in her bedroom, I read a spy story to my kids. I even have to try to impersonate Grandpa Loid. It's an utter disgrace. But, what don't we do for our little ones, huh?

When everyone finally sleeps, I go downstairs with Anya to the kitchen and we have dinner together. Afterward, we clean everything and organize the house.

After all, we have three children. There's no shortage of mess in here.

When we finish everything, we go up to our bedroom and take a nice bath in the bathtub of our en suite.

When we lie in bed, we look at each other meaningfully, and my wife doesn't need to read my mind to know what I'm thinking.

I wrap her in my arms, giving her a passionate kiss, and we make love until late at night. Every second I'm with Anya, I sense the pounding of her heart next to mine.

Our union is a letter, read by everyone around us.

Written not with ink, but with living love.

Not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.

You might be wondering: what did I do after Loid talked to me on that day?

Well, I did what he told me to do.

I made a decision.

I decided... To forgive.

And, as Loid also told me, I decided to be part of his family.

When I married Anya a few years ago, she didn't change her last name to Desmond.

It was I who changed mine

Today, my full name is Damian Forger.

Because the Forgers are, with absolute conviction, my true family.

♦♦♦

I want to thank everyone who has read this far 🤍 Thank you for all the love, comments, and encouragement, you are amazing, just like our dear couple Damianya (may they live happily ever after!). Hugs from Naty and until next time 😍