Chapter 04 - Guilt

Despite finally proving that no one in my family came to see me at the graduation ceremony, warmth fills my heart as I stand next to Anya as we wait for our names to be called up there on stage to receive our diplomas.

Our hands brush on our sides, trying to keep them hidden in the long sleeve of the black gown we wear over our evening clothes. We're teasing each other and I can see she giggles at our "little play".

It doesn't surprise me that, when the name "Anya Forger" is called, countless people whistle and applaud. After all, she's very dear to many. It's been many years since she stopped being that little girl who was the teachers' nightmare.

My heart rejoices to see Anya walking up to the stage with a beautiful smile, her hair flowing behind like a cape. As she receives her collation straw and elegantly shakes Professor Henderson's hand, I look to the side and see that her parents are... Crying.

Crying of emotion, of happiness, of pride.

I press my lips together, for I feel a lump in my throat. Far be it for me to envy Anya, but man... How good that must be...

I get startled when I see Yor, in the distance, waving at me with an optimistic smile, and even Loid nods. I can't react to it at first, but I end up waving back, a little shy.

When I turn back ahead, I find myself smiling, my hand clutching the gown on my chest, thinking about how nice Anya's parents are.

Anya returns next to me and I congratulate her. Becky and some other friends hug her and hop in joy. I feel Ewen and Emile nudging me with a naughty little smirk, as they've obviously noticed that Anya and I are closer. I can't help but smirk back. They give me some light fist bumps in celebration.

And then, after a few minutes, I hear my name being called and my entire body tingles.

Almost every other student who had already been called was applauded and whistled by their friends and family, and I feared what might happen when my turn would come.

I was expecting that only Emile and Ewen would make noises when they called my name.

As I walk a little downcast towards the stage, I do recognize the voices and applauses of my best friends.

However, there were more people celebrating me.

I hear Anya shouting my name in encouragement, her voice mixing with Ewen and Emile's. Even Becky was covertly clapping. Joy takes over my heart.

But I got surprised.

I hear more voices.

I quickly look back and get a big shock when I see Loid and Yor applauding me, without any shame. Yor even whistles loudly with her fingers and Loid claps his hands above his head.

My eyes burn at that sight.

I receive my collation straw, shake the teacher's hand, take a picture, and walk down the stage, once more being applauded by those people.

I feel everything move in slow motion.

I see my best friends, smiling from ear to ear and hopping in euphoria.

I see Anya practically glow, with an expression of happiness and affection.

And, I see her parents from afar, looking so proud of me, like I'm their own son.

At that moment, I think I would do anything to be part of that family.

♦♦♦

I savor the delicious dinner they're serving us after the graduation ceremony.

I'm sitting at a round table in a huge fancy hall with crystal chandeliers and a band playing some slow music on the main stage, in a low tone. Waiters and waitresses are nonstop, serving the best delicacies to the families of Eden Academy.