Chapter 03 - Touch

I almost pass out when Anya literally throws herself around my neck for a hug, exclaiming:

"YES!!! I'LL GO TO THE PROM WITH YOU!!!"

That's the maximum of physical touch we've ever had in our entire lives. When I feel her warmth, I can't help but wrap my arms around her, squeezing her lightly. At that moment, I realize I want more of it. I want more of her touch and her presence.

I don't know for how long we remained there, hugging each other, with Anya still wiggling in excitement and laughing, but we only stopped because we noticed that the other students began to look at us in the school corridor, as if wondering: "Hey, I thought these two hated each other!"

When we pull away, I see that she's a bit red and I also feel my cheeks blush. Anya looks at me from below, with puppy eyes.

"I thought you'd never ask me..." she says, joining her hands together in front of her body.

"S-Sorry for taking so long..." I reply, scratching the back of my head, avoiding her look. She giggles.

"It was worth it."

I look back at her and we give a little smile.

"Oh... If I could, I would kiss you right now," I end up thinking.

I notice that Anya widens her eyes a little and looks away from me, seeming nervous. I shake my head, not understanding, and an awkward silence falls over us. I need to say something, anything.

"C-Can I pick you up on Saturday at six?" I ask, rubbing my hands along my sides.

The graduation ceremony would start at 7:30 pm next Saturday, where it would be watched by the students' families. However, all the soon-to-be graduates would need to arrive an hour earlier, so they could get ready and do all those organization stuff that it's not necessary for me to detail.

Without a word, Anya just looks at me with a kind expression and nods in agreement. We hear the bell and enter the classroom.

Sitting with my best friends in the last row, we're told we're having a free class period. I play cards with Ewen and Emile, and for the first time in all these years of studying in the same classroom, from the first row, Anya turns her head smiling at me, and I smile back.

♦♦♦

I park my car in front of the building Anya lives with her parents. I take a deep breath and dry my hands on my pants. Before getting out, I make sure everything is clean and organized inside the car. I don't want to leave a bad impression.

I go to the intercom on the front door of the building and ring her apartment number. I stomp my foot on the floor several times and squeeze the package I was holding in my hands a little tighter. The intercom seems to ring for an eternity, until a woman finally answers:

"Hello?" I notice she has a nice and soft voice.

"H-Hi," I reply, feeling my throat go dry, "it's Damian."

"Oh, right! You can come in!"

Her voice tone seemed to show a certain kind of excitement, and I feel butterflies in my stomach as I hear the front door automatically open. I begin walking up the stairs and my footsteps reflect my heartbeat.

When I arrive on the right floor, I feel like I'm panting and I stop for a while to try to calm down. The apartment is at the end of a long corridor. I start to walk, but that corridor seems endless. I get to the door and before ringing the bell, I check my hair and my jacket. I take another deep breath.

I barely ringed the bell and the door opened. For a moment, I was a little startled by the sight of the person who popped up in front of me.

A woman greets me with a big smile. It must be the same person who answered the intercom. I've seen her before and I know she's Anya's mother. But what surprised me was the huge pregnant belly in front of her.