-S1, Ep8: Chapter 34-

-Chapter 34: Underneath the Temple- 

Anna walked behind Seth and Tanner, feeling a bit safer with the older Gecko nearby.

"So does the dean of the archeology department approve of that getup?" Seth asked Tanner. The Professor chuckled.

"Not a problem, long as I turn in the right peer-reviewed journal now and again." Tanner answered. "You know how it is: Publish or Perish."

"So why Sex Machine?" Seth asked as they rounded a corner.

"Ain't it obvious?" Tanner asked and chuckled at the look on the Gecko's face. "That's a pun from my boys' school Latin days. Deus "sex" machina, or uh, the god in the sex machine."

"Any boys' school I ever went to didn't teach dead languages." Seth said.

"Well, there's plenty of them on the walls in here." Tanner said and they rounded another corner.

"There's something on this floor." Kate said.

"Just stay close." Jacob said. "Scott needs us. Focus on that."

"These stories were just ancient history to most people...but I always believed the power they spoke of was true." Tanner said and Anna felt an uneasy feeling from his words.

"What power?" Seth asked.

"Their blood sacrifices summoned the Vision Serpent, giving them access to a higher plane of consciousness." Tanner explained. "Yeah, they could see things that don't exist in our temporal reality."

"What-What do you mean Temporal Reality?" Seth asked.

"I mean, the past, the future." Tanner answered. "Things you and I can't see. Their ancestors mapped the stars. They understood the cosmic movements of the galaxies. Some even say that...they could communicate with alien races." Anna shivered at the thought.

"Stop." Seth ordered as they stopped around another corner. "Don't make this any weirder than it already is. I can do Temple of Doom, man. But Crystal Skull? I'm out."

"This place is filled with Chanan markings." Tanner said.

"Okay, come on." Seth said as they started walking again. "What do you mean?"

"Chanan." Tanner answered. "It means Snake, but it also means Guard."

"What are they guarding?" Seth asked.

"Duh." Tanner said, like it was obvious. "The underworld."

"Oh, great." Seth muttered and walked around another corner. Anna felt oddly cold walking around down underneath the temple. And it wasn't a normal cold. It was like...an evil cold.

"I guess I shouldn't be afraid." Kate said. "If I die, I go to heaven, be with Mama. She'll be standing there right next to Jesus, waiting for me."

"Kate." Jacob said, stopping his daughter and she turned to him.

"What?" Kate asked.