Chapter 9: Firing Blanks

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"I figured you would ask. For the last time, I remember as much as Metallico and Team Scales. That is, nothing. I even asked Mest to look into my memories after I woke up. But all he found was a mysterious impenetrable fog."

'False. Team Scales all remembered Guthrie Conbolt's scent. You would not have been able to pick that up, though. Nor would you have known because you left the guild infirmary before they did.'

"Ah, yes, I'm aware you don't remember much. Instead, I want to ask how you found Needleworks. Because clearly you were there. Lexi and Addy found you thanks to Danger Rover's tracker," Reiki stated.

Immediately his eyes widened.

"Wait a minute," he breathed.

'Perhaps Lexi and Addy could guide us to the place or at least give directions! Why didn't I think of that?!'

"What?" Asuka asked.

She turned in place to face the redhead.

"According to my memory Lexi and Addy have gotten better with directions over the years, right?" he inquired.

"Which type of directions? Navigation? Teamwork? Schedule?"

"Uhh, the navigation type."

"No. They're horrible. Every year they're at Crocus and every year they still can't find Fairy Tail's hotel. Even though it's half the height of the castle."

'Ah that's right. I did think of this idea on the train ride home this morning. I thought of it again after I asked Team Scales what they remembered.'

"Crocus is destroyed and rebuilt every year," Reiki defended.

"They can easily jump there. Or at least have Lexi fly there."

"Last I checked neither of them were too enthusiastic about scaring people these days."

"Fine. How about this? In the past year, I've had to give Lexi and Addy directions from the guild hall to my house ten times each."

Reiki furrowed his brows.

"I didn't think you were that active? So why would they need to remember the coordinates to your place?" he pointed out.

Asuka clenched her teeth as she continued to gather items.

"No, we're not quest-active. But the five of us hang out at my place every other weekend or so. And for the past ten plus years, we've always left in the Rover from my cabin. That has never changed."

"Magnolia's streets are always changing though."

"It's not as drastic as Crocus. My point is, if you ask them where Needleworks is, they won't remember squat."

'Okay, so my memory on that wasn't tampered with, because I remember overhearing how they selected an apartment that had very specific landmarks near it so they wouldn't forget which was theirs.'

"Okay. So does the tracker on your Rover have a recorded history?"

"Of course not! I live out in the woods with no service for a reason! I don't want to be tracked by the ever-growing presence of lacrima devices that know your locations!"

"Ah, yes, that's true."

Asuka stopped in front of Reiki.

Her narrowed purple eyes stared up into his dark green spheres.

"Why are you so interested in Needleworks anyways? Yes, it was a mysterious incident, but situations such as the discovery of Tenrou Island are far worse. Which, by the way, is our problem and our problem alone."