Chapter 5: Tales by the Fire

Start from the beginning

I guess the secret to getting me to cook better is to not have my overbearing mother hanging over me and screaming at me. Which led me to think more about my aunt. She is my mom's sister. She was raised with the same principles as my mother. This means I left my mother only to go live with a possibly worse version of her. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Is that what I want for my life? To go to a place where I will be forced into someone I am not. A piece of metal getting hammered into a new shape. Damn, seven hours of baking and I suddenly become philosophical.

 Damn, seven hours of baking and I suddenly become philosophical

For a woman who rarely wears dresses, I look stunning. In a short matter of time, Sophie managed to arrange a traditional outfit for the feast. Glancing in the full-length mirror I stare in silent awe at the festive dress clinging to my body. The purely white material from which it is made from glistens in the sim light of my room making the bright flowers on it stand out even more than I feel they normally do. My fingers graze the puffy skirt that reminds me so much of drawings of princesses which is gross but I will push my resentment down for the night. Its long sleeves are made of thin material that looks and feels like soft netting which makes my arms feel bare and exposed. The same netting type of material hangs over the skirt protecting the smooth material. Thankfully she lets me wear my hair loose so I can cover up my ridiculously pale shoulders. 

Together Sophie, Pierre, and I make our way to the market square which has been cleaned out for the festival. A long table that can fit all the adults and another one for the kids is in the center surrounded by lights, and a beautiful dance floor with claw mark-shaped patterns painted on it. Lights are hanging from every house making the village shine brighter than the stars above us.

 The beautiful setting went well with the amazing food that we ate. After our bellies are full the whole town gathers by the large bonfire that had been set up earlier.  A crippled and hobbling old woman is helped up onto a cart so that she is above all of us.

"Family and friends, we are truly blessed to have such a beautiful night today on our glorious Day of the Beast," The crowd and myself included cheer, "Today as we all know is marked to celebrate the beast of Belles Collines and his legend that still sticks with us nine decades after it began. Many years ago a brave warrior from our village went out into the dark forest where he discovered a castle. Thanking the gods for this discovery the warrior went into the castle expecting to find riches but instead was met by a large ferocious beast..." While the woman spoke the legend men dressed up in costumes danced around the fire, acting out the story, "The brave warrior fought the beast back and with a blow of his sword he struck the beast down. But, although the beast was killed his legend still lives on."

I lean closer to Sophie, "So let me get this straight you guys celebrate a beast instead of the warrior who killed it?"

She shrugs. "I don't understand it either but I guess it's just because a beast is the most fascinating thing that's ever been around this place."

Shaking my head I look out at the crowd laughing and walking up to the actors trying to get a chance to wear their masks. This place is strange. Beautiful but so strange.

Here is a picture of the dress I was referring to

Here is a picture of the dress I was referring to. I know it is a wedding dress but It looks so beautiful and I love it. Plus I think the yellow dress would have been too formal for this festival.