If this was a film set, I reckon the director would have called ‘cut’. Not only have I failed in playing the role of Qu Ning’er, I’ve also almost broken myself entirely from the role.

“You, yes, you!” The director threw his script to the ground and walked over to point at her while swearing. “Why are you always breaking character?!”

Breaking character.

This was the reason why Ning Ning could never become popular.

No matter the role she acted in, it would all end up with the same feeling– the uncomfortable feeling of an actor breaking character.

To an actor, this was practically a fatal shortcoming.

Many people wanted to know the reason why, as did Ning Ning herself. Initially, she thought it was because she lacked in fundamentals, but despite training desperately to get better, there was no progress made. Then, she thought it could be because of her lack of experience, however, when she took up a bunch of roles, the same problem arose in every one of them…  

“You don’t believe.” That is, until today, when Chen Junyan hit the nail on the head with his words, “You don’t believe your papa’s words, nor your maid’s words, neither do you believe my words, nor yourself… Wait!”

Chen Junyan sized Ning Ning up with an extremely strange gaze, then asked, “Do you… not believe yourself to be Qu Ning’er?”

There was a split second when Ning Ning thought he had seen through her disguise…

She gave Boss Qu a look as her face went pale as a sheet, extremely nervous that his next words would be, ‘Miss is ill again, call Physician Wang over to prescribe medicine and do acupuncture, quick!’

In order to avoid suffering, she quickly retorted, “How can that be, of course I’m Qu Ning’er.”

… How could I be Qu Ning’er…

Ning Ning, “Who would I be if not Qu Ning’er?”

… I’m Ning Ning, daughter of a movie empress. I can’t let others laugh at me, I must become even better at acting…

Ning Ning, “I, I…”

There was no need for any more words, for she had already understood.

As it turns out, her most fatal shortcoming– was that she didn’t believe.

Many a times, the first thought she had upon receiving a script was, ‘Such a stupid story actually exists???’, her second thought was, ‘Such a dumb female lead actually exists???’ Following that she would tell herself, “As a movie empress’s daughter, I can’t act horribly and let others mock me and mummy.”

…Yet the more effort she put in, the worser her acting was…

She had tried very hard to act, act the way she felt the character should react and move. However, she could never believe in herself, believe that others would be able to see through her horrible acting…

“Ning’er.” Boss Qu got up and walked towards her to grasp her hand in his and asked with a face full of concern, “Are you alright?”