The second his hand grabbed onto Ning Ning’s mask, she asked him, “Do you know the consequence of doing this?”

“Only two people can see your face: one of them is Boss Qu, and the other is your husband.” Little Freckle’s hands were trembling as well as his voice, he mumbled the information Chen Junyan leaked to him. “If I see your face, I’ll be your husband.”

“No.” The black-hole of a gun muzzle slowly came into view from behind him and pressed into his head. Following the sound of loading the gun, Boss Qu’s voice sounded coldly behind him, “There will be one less man in this world.”

Little Freckle froze completely.

In the midst of his crisis, he made up his mind.

A tearing sound was heard, and he pulled the mask off Ning Ning’s face; the great amount of strength that he placed behind tearing it off caused Ning Ning to turn halfway in place. Once she had regained her balance, she touched the half of her face that stinged painfully.

“I’ve seen it! I’ve seen it! I-I’ve…” Little Freckle raised the mask high up in the air as if he was raising a champion gold medal. Halfway through his celebration, he caught a glance of Ning Ning’s real face, and his laughter immediately ceased. His eyes went wide open and he couldn’t stop the following words that escaped his lips, “…So ugly?”

Bang, as Little Freckle fell into the pool of blood, his eyes were still wide open while his lips formed the final shape of his last word ‘ugly’.

Despite this, Boss Qu still wasn’t satisfied and continued firing a few shots at the corpse, bang, bang, bang. The corpse on the ground started jumping about from the gunshots. Once Boss Qu fired his last shot, he kept the gun behind his waist before turning around to block Ning Ning’s view with his body and held her shoulders to comfort her. “Don’t listen to his gibberish, you aren’t ugly, not at all. You are the most beautiful girl in the world.”

Ning Ning wore a grave expression and her shoulders were slightly shivering under his palms.

The twitching corpse on the ground, as well as the indifferent murderer standing before her, told her that this film she was in was absolutely not a documentary of circus life, nor could it purely be a romantic film– because it truly was too cruel.

“…Papa.” Ning Ning shut her eyes tightly to keep from looking at the disturbing scene. She lightly spoke while in his arms, “Don’t lie to me anymore.”

–––

A few days later, inside the circus.

Chen Junyan arrived outside the door of Boss Qu’s resting room. He hesitated for a moment and was about to reach out to knock, when he heard a voice travelling out from within. “Come in.”

“Yes.” Chen Junyan took a sharp inhale.

The second he opened the door and entered, he couldn’t believe the scene he was witnessing.

Was that man seated in front of him really Boss Qu?

He had never seen him in such a depressed and helpless state…

Boss Qu’s current appearance was extremely terrible– his hair that was always kept swept back tidily, now lay on his head like a patch of messy grass; even his mustache, of which he was extremely proud of, had one side missing. That faint blood scar on his upper lip showed that he was too preoccupied with his thoughts while grooming, thus he brought upon a bloody disaster on his face.