Chapter 8: Michael's Progress

Michael was more than happy to see both of us,for about an hour we walked around talking about whatever came to mind.

For being locked up here, he seemed to be doing well for himself.

Later on when we all had lunch together, both me and Ms. Myers were suprised when he asked. "Hey Mommy..is everyone at home ok?" I could tell by the sad look in her eyes, that she wasnt sure what to say.

But she answered "Yeah sweetie everything at home is ok."

The rest of our lunch was eaten in silence, but I couldn't help but wonder...did she hold any anger twards Michael? Did she hate him for taking Judith away?

Theses thoughts continued to flow through my mind, even after I was safe in my own home.

A few weeks later I began to notice that Michael was changing. He got into the habbit of making theses weird masks, even though Halloween was already over.

He told me once, that the reason he wears them is because he likes hiding his face. Wich made me sad because I missed seeing his happy face and blue eyes.

Soon enough the holiday seasons rolled around, since it was so cold and the snow fell pretty deep, I couldn't always go visit Michael. But luckily grandpa always told me about his sessions with him, and would sometimes record them on a tape recorder. That Christmas eve afternoon grandpa came home and asked me to listen to the recording.

What I heard was Michael screaming, cussing at Grandpa and saying over and over again "I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE!! LET ME OUT!!" By the tone of his voice I could tell that he was crying and very scared.

"Grandpa! I know he did terrible things, but he's only ten years old, make them let him out!!" I begged.

Grandpa sighed and shook his head, "Im sorry Melody, but Michael may not be getting out for a while."

"Okay grandpa..im going to bed.. night" I said as I went upstairs and did my best not to slam the door.