Special Operations Squad

Start from the beginning

Eren: Ah...

Levi: I'll take a look upstairs. Eren, you finish up here.

Eren: Understood.

Levi leaves the room. Petra enters.

Petra: I see you're disappointed, Eren.

Eren: Pardon me?

Petra: Oh, I'll be calling you "Eren". Just like Lance Corporal Levi. His word is law here.

Eren: Sure. I don't mind that, but did I really look disappointed?

Petra: It's nothing unusual. He doesn't seem like the completely flawless hero people make him out to be, right? Lance Corporal Levi is actually... surprisingly short, high-strung, violent, and hard to approach.

Eren: No, the thing I was surprised by was how obedient he is to the decisions of the higher-ups.

Petra: Did you believe someone of his strength would have no concern for rank or obedience?

Eren: Yes. I expected him to be somewhat insubordinate.

Petra: I can't say for sure, but he may have been like that before. I heard that before he joined the Survey Corps, he was an infamous rogue in the capital's underground.

Eren: Then what made him change?

Petra: Who knows? I have no idea how it happened, but apparently he was brought to the Survey Corps looking as if he gave in to Commander Erwin.

Eren: Ah... The Commander?

Levi: Hey, Eren!

Levi stands in the doorway. Petra hastily goes back to sweeping.

Eren: Y-Yes?!

Levi: It's far from clean. Do it all over again.

Later in the day, at the present Survey Corps HQ. Mike and Erwin speak as Erwin concocts a plan.

Mike: An expedition to establish a base for a supply chain in thirty days, huh? And you want us to bring the newly graduated recruits along.

Erwin: That's assuming any of them enlist.

Mike: Regardless, I'd have to say this seems too rushed.

Erwin: Eren's current position is only temporary. We need to prove to Central that he's beneficial to mankind as soon as possible.
Otherwise, the Military Police Brigade might interfere again --

Mike: You can't be honest, even with me, Erwin?

Erwin: You're as sharp as ever, Mike.

Mike: I'm still not at your level, though.

Erwin: I'll tell you when the time is right.

At night, at the former Survey Corps HQ. The soldiers are sat down for tea.

Eld: I expect we'll be on standby for a few more days, but I heard there are plans for a large-scale expedition in thirty days. And we'll be joined by the new recruits who graduated recently.

Gunther: Are you serious, Eld? That's rather sudden, especially since the latest Titan attack has undoubtedly taken its toll on them.

Oruo: The brats must've all lost their backbone.

Petra: Is that true, Lance Corporal?

Levi: I'm not in charge of drafting plans. But remember, this is Erwin. I'm sure he's thinking much further ahead than us.

Eld: Well, the situation itself is unusual.
The route we advanced at the cost of countless sacrifices to recapture Maria was erased in an instant. Then suddenly, a completely different hope appeared.

Eren: Ah...!

All the soldiers stare at Eren.

Eren: Ah...

Eld: I still find it hard to believe, but what exactly does it mean to transform into a Titan, Eren?

Eren: My memories from that time aren't clear, but I felt like I had lost myself. I do know it's triggered by self-injury, though. If I take my hand and... (Thoughts) Huh? Wait, why do I know this again? Who knows but I should probably keep the other thing a secret for now.

Levi: You guys are aware, aren't you? The reports cover everything we know now.
Well, I doubt she'll stay put either way.
But she might go too far and end up killing you. Eren.

Eren: Huh? Who's "she"?

Hange: Ah!

From outside the room, Hange makes a loud noise. Petra removes the bar from the door. Hange walks in, holding a hand to her forehead.

Hange: Good evening, members of the Levi Squad. How's it feel living in a castle?

Levi: You're early.

Hange: I just couldn't stay put.

Eren: Squad Leader Hange?

Hange: Sorry for the wait, Eren. I'm in charge of investigating two Titans we captured in the city, and I want your cooperation for tomorrow's experiment. I came to get permission for that.

Eren: An experiment? What would I...

Hange: Well, it's... the most exciting thing ever!

Eren: U-Um... I can't grant you permission myself. I don't have any authority over my decisions.

Hange: Levi, what are Eren's plans for tomorrow?

Levi: Cleaning the garden.

Hange: No problem then! It's decided.

Hange grabs Eren's hand.

Hange: Eren, I look forward to tomorrow.

Eren: R-Right. But what exactly are we going to do?

Hange: Hmm?

Eren: Huh? Uh, well... What do you mean by "experiment" --

Oruo: Hey, stop it. Don't ask.

Hange: Oh, I knew it. You sure looked like you wanted to know. Haha~!

All the soldiers besides Hange and Eren leave the room.

Eren: Ah...

Hange: So you were that curious? Guess I've got no choice. I'll have to tell you then. All about those critters we're keeping.