Chapter 1 ~ Nightmare

Gabby's P.O.V

I open my eyes to find him there laying beside me, caressing his fingers through my hair. Matthew Casey. It had been the first time we had been in a bed together since our breakup.

"Morning beautiful," he says passionately. "Morning Matt," I say with a hint of yawn in my speech.

I get up from his bed and make my way to the bathroom; I know where it is cause I did help pick this house to live in with Matt. All of a sudden echoed voices filled my head as I left.

"You'll never be as good a fire-fighter as they are!". "Why did you let me die?!". "Why did you give up on us?!". I recognized every voice, Chief, Shay, Matt! Why would they say such awful things?, I thought to myself.

I awoke with a terrifying scream which woke Sylvie from the other room. It took me a few seconds to realize it was a dream, another stinking dream! Sylvie bolted out of her bed to greet me at my door.

"Gabby... are you okay?" Sylvie asked with concern. "No...no I'm not okay! I answered in a panicked voice. "Another dream?" she asks, as I began to sob falling into her arms. "It will be okay, you will get through this, we... will get through this." "Thank you but... it's harder than it sounds"

Ever since good things or bad things happened in my life, they began to take over, plant themselves in every corner of my mind. And once in a while they decide that it's time for fun and games and haunt me in my sleep. I slipped out of Sylvie's grasp and turned to see the time on my clock, it was 5:10am. I normally get up at half 5 to make my usual running schedule at 6, but since I was already up, I got dressed into my joggers and my candidate training t-shirt and made my way down the alley. I made it to the middle of the city and I realized I was on the bridge Shay loved going over in calls. I hated the feeling of missing her, it made me miserable and weak, I couldn't stand there forever so I took a deep breathe and carried on.

I turned a sharp corner and bumped into the one person I never expected to see while running so early in the morning.