Chapter 26- Epilogue

Darion White stands with his hands together in front of him, staring into her casket. At her pale face caked with makeup to hide the lack of color in her. At her small, frail body, her hands overlapped on her torso, lavender tucked gently around her. People say that when it rains after a funeral, it means the person went to Heaven. Darion looks outside. It was thunder-storming.

He kissed her forehead and stared at her a while longer. Someone he hadn't seen in a while comes up beside him.

"I'm sorry." she whispers.

"It's okay Nadia. I know you didn't mean to disappear the way you did. And no one saw this coming." he answers, stroking the dead girl's cheek.

"I should've talked things out with her, maybe then she'd be laughing and alive." Nadia replied, wiping a tear.

"Don't blame yourself,"-- darion wipes her cheek, "it's not what she would've wanted."

"I know." Nadia sniffles before her and Darion hug tightly, both staring at the lifeless body in the chestnut casket. Nadia steps away, leaving Darion to mourn on his own. Reuben had shown up too, but he couldn't stand the sight of her dead body and had to step away. Janet showed and so did Arlo, both paying their respects and leaving Darion to grieve. Matthew and Heather had the audacity to show their repulsive faces there, but Darion had given them reason enough to leave. It was petty he knew, but he couldn't stand to see them right now. Bryon had gotten what he deserved, jail time. But not from her case. He was caught with another girl, that's what got him sent in.

It was the burial now, and everyone crowded with their black umbrellas. It was like a scene out of a movie. They watched her, Darion especially, as she was lowered into the ground where a stone marked her spot.

Eventually it was time to leave, though most people had already gone. Janet and Arlo begged their son to come home but he refused, saying he needed more time. Now it was only him. Just him and the rain and the crisp, cool air of the evening. He kissed his fingers and then placed them on the stone.

"You know, you were the best thing to happen to me. I don't know that I'll ever move on but I want you to know that I tend to keep promises and I tend to fulfill people's words." Darion smiles. "So as per request, I'll do it. I'll live for you."

Darion turns and steps away, not daring to turn back. Of course he felt guilty but he knew that she wouldn't have wanted him to do that. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he stepped further and further away from where the corpse lay six feet under. He didn't make it much farther until he collapsed to his knees and bawled his eyes out. He felt so guilty and right now he didn't care if she was cursing him for feeling this way. If only he had talked to her. If only he had reached out. If only he had loved her more. If only that was even possible, he loved her that much. If only he was enough.