Chapter 22- Dating, Drinks, Danger, and Dogs

"Shh, be quiet. Don't let them know we've been out." Darion warns as we tiptoe barefoot through his house. It's a little after two A.M. and we're just now getting back. After he kissed me, we ran around in the dark and ended up going on some trail that we probably weren't supposed to be on. But we still found our way back to the coffee shop where we found his car and went home. Now we're sneaking up the stairs and into his room. As he closes the door, we both let out a big sigh, grateful that we weren't caught.

"Oh gosh. I thought for sure we were dead. I forgot that my dog went back to the vet for the week." Darion breathes, flopping on the bed beside me.

"Why?" I look him in the eyes.

"Surgery. She has cancer." his smile drops a little.

"Oh. I'm sorry." I instantly apologize even with the known fact that nothing's my fault. I take his head and hug it closer, burying it in my chest. He nods, snuggling deeper into me. I laugh and press my face into his hair. A few seconds later, he shifts and rests above me on all fours, my back to the bed. He begins kissing my lips before trailing down my jaw and neck. His hands started on the bed but began to trail. No. No. All I can feel is Bryon. I push him away.

"No! No, please not again!" I freak out, my eyes watery. As if realizing what he did, he stands and backs away.

"I'm sorry! I don't know what came over me! Please don't yell, or cry. Please? I'm sorry." He excessively apologizes. I breathe deeply to calm myself, my freak-out coming to an end.

"Hey, shh. It's okay, I'm fine. I promise." I let out a small chuckle before going over to where he's crouched on the ground shamefully.

"Sorry." he says.

"I'm fine, I promise. I'm just gonna go take a shower. I'll be back in a bit." I replied. He nods but doesn't move so I step away and head to the bathroom.

"You can wear one of the t-shirts on the chair in there." he says barely audibly.

"Thanks." I respond, grabbing my notebook and heading to the bathroom. I close the door behind me and let out a sigh before opening the door to the walk-in shower and turning the knob. The water begins to spray from the shower head with a hiss, pounding against the shower floor. I grab a towel and sit it down on the chair piled high with clothes. Hopefully clean. I strip off my turtleneck and pull off my pants. Finally, my body can breathe once again. I finish undressing and slide into the shower, closing the door and locking out most outside noise. The water hits my back and trails down the length of my body. Steam forms around me as I hold myself and stand under the hot water. My muscles relax under the heat, my skin feeling fresh. And, oh, lavender-scented Hello Kitty soap? I'll definitely make fun of him for this.

I finish drying off and pulling on my clothes. I hate the fact that I'm wearing the same underwear I wore that day but it's all I have. I throw on Darion's white t-shirt and squeeze my hair to drain water from it. I'm about to step out when I spot my notebook. Deciding it's time for another poem, I flip to a blank page and use a pencil I found to write whatever comes to my mind.

I call this one "Suffocating".

The urge to breathe,

The sounds of air entering

My mouth but going no further.

The choking sensation.

I am suffocating.

When they ask for your

Cause of death, what will

Be said?

When they ask for mine,

The answer will come easily.

I suffocated. But not the