Curiosity

Sophia sat close to Estrid and checked on her temperature occasionally. To her relief, Estrid could sleep comfortably, and her temperature began to lower. Maja gave her some food, which consisted of cooked fish with herbs. Sophia was surprised at how good it was when herbs were added. She and Maja ate in silence for a while.

"It seems your friend is getting better."

"Y-Yes, thank goodness. She had me worried there for a moment."

Maja ate a piece of her fish. "Though I am impressed that you knew what could improve your friend. Who taught you healing?"

Sophia was silent as she thought about how to answer her. She thought it would be crazy to tell Maja the truth, that she was from a different time and a medical student. "I had many good teachers who taught me the art of healing. However, even with that knowledge, many people still get ill or die, so I taught myself some few things."

"I see. I have never seen you in the village before, so that would mean Lord Ragnar saved you from Itzvar."

The young woman merely nodded as she continued eating. Suddenly, the women heard footsteps outside the home. Then, three children entered; Sophia was surprised but was relieved to at least see them. Maja still sat by her seat, eating. "You three troublemakers visit my home? Has Lord Ragnar or Lady Lagertha sent you for my presence?"

"No, we've heard mother and father speaking of a woman. We want to see who she was," answered Fridleif.

Maja merely pointed to Sophia. The young woman stilled when the three children looked at her. Everyone was in awkward silence. Sophia smiled. "Hello, kids; the name is Sophia. I guess I am the woman you were curious about."

The three children looked at one another and then at Sophia. "I am Fridleif." The little boy stepped forward. "These are my sisters, Hilda and Thyra. We are the children of Ragnar Lodbrok and Lagertha."

"Oh, well, it's very nice to meet the children of two great warriors."

Fridleif blushed, and he tried not to make it known. The twin girls giggled as they went forward. "You're beautiful, lady. Did father and mother rescue you from Itzvar?" asked Thyra.

"I guess you can say that."

"What was Itzvar like? Were you living in fear?" asked Hilda.

Sophia was surprised at how mature the children could speak, but they still held a child's curiosity. "Well, yes and no. Itzvar was cruel, but I refused to lower myself to him, like your father."

"Did Father defeat Itzvar?" asked Thyra.

"Well, he helped me and many people escape and-"

"So Itzvar lives? I thought Father put an end to that tyrant. I want to go back home," said Hilda.

Sophia noticed the disappointed looks on the children's faces. "It seems you all want Itzvar to be gone. I guess he's that terrible."

Fridleif crossed his arms. "He's more than terrible! That tyrant took our home away. We all were happy until he arrived!"

"He took your home away? I didn't know that. I'm so sorry that you all had your home taken away. That Itzvar truly is terrible."

"We will take our home back. Father swore to us that we would get it back. I'll be old enough to be part of the campaign and fight!" Fridleif said proudly. "My sword skills have improved immensely, and my father promised that I will soon join the ranks as a Viking."

This made Sophia a little uncomfortable. She had almost forgotten that the Viking era was different from hers. Other societies had specific ages where one was an adult. To her, Fridleif and the twin girls were still children and innocent. The thought of them being on the battlefield didn't sit well with her. "Aren't you a little young to become a Viking? You have all the time in the world to be a great fighter. It would be best if you took your time. A strong and wise Viking should learn patience. Wouldn't you agree?"

The young boy was silent for a moment. He was about to respond, but someone else entered. "My children." The three children cringed as they saw their father. "This is where you were. I thought I had always told you to obey my orders."

"F-Father, we wanted to know who this woman was. We were just curious," said Hilda.

Sophia stood. "Don't worry, Ragnar. Children are inquisitive, so don't blame them. Besides, we were having a pleasant conversation."

The children took a glance at Sophia and then at Ragnar. Ragnar eyed his children and then let out a small smile. "Go on; your mother will be home in a while. Assist her for dinner." The children went on their way. Ragnar sighed. "I can't let my guard down with those children. I can't imagine how they are when I am at my campaigns. I hope they weren't too much trouble."

"Not at all. Your children are well-spoken."

Ragnar let out a soft chuckle. "Just wait; they will become a handful once you get to know them more." He walked toward Sophia. "How is your friend?"

"She's getting better; her fever is dissipating."

"Good news." Ragnar looked at Maja, who finished her food. "What have you given her?"

"I was not the one who healed the woman. It was all her work."

The Viking focused on Sophia, who looked down a bit from embarrassment. "So you do know more about healing. Itzvar never knew of this?"

"No, I didn't say much to him, even if he tried to force me to speak."

"Though I am glad of the news, these lands are barren, and we don't have much."

"I know, but sometimes the small things can make a difference. I was lucky to find a plant that was able lower the fever. All I had to do was remember what I'd learned and look deeper into the land. That's all."

All were silent for a while. "I believe you will help my people immensely. I also wanted to inform you that there will be festivities to celebrate our return tomorrow. You, Maja and your friend are invited. I will fetch it for you tomorrow and introduce you to everyone. Rest well." Ragnar left the building.

Sophia let out a sigh of relief as she went back to eating while keeping watch on Estrid. Sophia will give her friend more tea later in the day. Maja was silent as she watched everything unfold. "You seem to have attracted Lord Ragnar's attention."

"He was concerned, that's all."

"You may think otherwise, young woman. Lord Ragnar has much on his mind, but he made the time to visit you. You may deny it all you want, but he surely wished to see you."

Sophia cleared her throat. "We helped one another survive while being in Itzvar's clutches. I guess you can say we trust one another."

Maja stood with the plate in hand. "Remember what I told you when we first met?"

The young woman nodded.

"It is true. Let us say the gods have granted me a gift to see things in people. You will have an impact on the time to come. You and Lord Ragnar that is."

"Wait, what?"

Maja merely smiled and went on her way, leaving Sophia confused.