004

"Darling are you going to school today? Do you feel better?" Mum stands at my bedroom door as I sit up in bed "Yea I am today" I weakly smile at her.

I didnt go to school the next day, I didn't see Steve in english the next day. Me and Billy, we got into a huge argument on the way home, massive, possibly the worst ever and, well, the black eye explains itself pretty much. I needed the day off to figure out a story, mum was at work all day yesterday so she didnt realise until the evening, by then I had a story so it was fine.

"You alright?" Max asks as I meet her downstairs. She knows, I dont have to say anything but Max knows. I nod and grab my stuff and head to the car. "Not late this morning, finally" Billy opens the car door and I get in the back. "Come on Max" he shouts as she comes running out with her backpack.

"You made any friends?" Billy starts to question Max. "Yea, a couple, theyre alright" she shrugs, keeping the conversation short "Best not be any boys" he turns, giving her a serious look but she stays silent.

Before things could turn worse we finally arrive at school. I jump out of the car as quick as possible to be away from my brother and head inside. Makeup wasnt enough for my eye, I mean, its done its best but its still as visible as can be.

I walk into english class and head straight to my seat. Posters are flying everywhere around the class as theres only one week left and its summer break. We joined at the end of the school year because Billy got kicked out of our last school, and we had to move. This school was just so we could graduate and be done. One week left.

"You're back!" Nancy sits a her desk beside me "I thought you had died or som-" her eyes widen as I look up at her with a smile "What happened" she whispers, for a moment I forget, im confused by what she means, but I quickly realise. "I fell up the stairs and hit my eye off the stair post" I try to laugh.

"Y/n, why werent you here" Steve walks in and sits at his desk in front of me. He turns around and his smile quickly fades "Did, what happened" I smile and tell the same story "Fell up the stairs and hit it on the post" I shrug and open my book, ready to start class. His eyes stare deeply into mine, analysing my face, he doesnt believe me.

It's been a couple of hours and ive been alone in most of my classes today, Ive had Jonathan in a few but he keeps himself to himself really. It's finally lunch and I head outside, I just want to sit on the grass and have some fresh air.

I open up a fresh bottle of apple juice, jumping out of my skin as Steve quickly sits himself on the ground beside me. "Jeez a warning would've been nice" I giggle while wiping my apple juice off my pants. "Sorry, sorry" he helps me wipe it, very awkward moment I must say. "It's fine dont worry" I laugh.

"How are you finding it here, in Hawkins" he gets himself comfortable, taking his jacket off and placing it beside himself. "It's alright, nice, everyone seems pretty friendly too considering im only here for what, a week" I chuckle and shrug.

"I mean yea ive never heard of someone joining a new school just for a week and graduation" he laughs and turns to look at me, I feel his eyes staring into my soul, I knew what was coming next.

"Why didnt you come in yesterday?" He asks "I drank way too much, done this to my eye, I needed a day to really recover, and make sure I wasnt going to go blind or something" I laugh but he doesnt, shit. "Hm, Billy wasnt in yesterday either." My heart starts racing "Uh yea, he had a stomach bug" I start sipping my juice to ease my nerves.

"Listen y/n, I know we really dont know eachother, like at all, but im good and I know when someone is lying to me" I roll my eyes "Im heading inside" I go to stand up but he holds my arm "Hey!" I yank it away. "Sorry, I know you're lying" he looks at me, genuine sympathy spreads across his face.

"We were arguing on our way home" I mumble, Steve nods and waits for more "It was really bad, the worst we have ever argued and it resulted in this, and a load of bruises and scratches because he threw me out of the car while still moving, so" I shrug. "Shit" he frowns "does your parents know or?" I nod "Kinda, its just mum, Billy is an ass to her as well so nothing can really be done" I feel my eyes start to tear up a bit, theres no way im crying in front of Steve Harrington.

I quickly rub my eyes and thankfully the bell rings. "Time for class, I'll see you tomorrow" I grab my bag and walk away and head to math.

"Dont forget, tomorrow is the ball for middle school, we would love some of you guys there to help out, especially if you have any siblings there" great.

I leave class and head to the exit doors of the school where I bump into Nancy again "Hey, are you helping out at this ball tomorrow?" I ask "Yea, my brother and his friends will be there so ive been the chosen one" she smiles "You should come!" She stops in her tracks with excitement "I dont think Max would want me there" she raises an eyebrow "why not? Come on ill be there, please" I smile and give in to her begging.

"Yay!! Ill see you tomorrow y/n" I give her a quick hug and finally leave, I walk out, looking around for Billy's car but of course, hes left. "He left you too huh" Max walks over to me "best get walking" the two of us start to walk down the hill when a car pulls up beside us.

"You two want a ride?" Steve calls out "Max, this is your sister?" Dustin leans forward shouting. "Shut up dude" Steve talks through his teeth, pushing Dustin back on his chair. "That your friend?" I turn to Max "Sadly" she rolls her eyes and gets in the car. I hesitate for a moment but Steve sits waiting, so im practically forced in.

"Oh yea Max, im going to be at that ball thing tomorrow, Nancy is making me" I smile "Thats so cool" Max smiles and leans on me. "You're friends with Nancy too?? Mikes sister" This Dustin kid turns back around. I nod and look at Mike "My friends, Mike, Will, Dustin" she points at him as he grins "Lucas and El, kinda" I raise an eyebrow "Kinda?"

I turn slightly and catch Steves eyes in the centre mirror looking back at us, why did it make me blush? Ew...

"Yea I dont think El likes me very much" Max chuckles a little "El is just, different" Dustin explains "She's really nice though, just need to get used to her" he turns and looks at Steve who is staying quiet, something weird is going on with these kids.

"Thanks for the ride" Max ruffles Steves hair as we get out "Hey hey not the hair" he fixes it as I close the door. "Thanks" I smile and head inside.