I sigh, closing my eyes for a moment to really think about if it was worth it. I was scared to death to talk to my parents, scared that I will regret not staying with them, or scared that they won't even care that I called. Some things in life, no matter how hard you try to push them away, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself they don't matter, eventually you come to terms with the fact they will always matter to you.

"Okay, I will," I open my eyes to see Ashton watching me silently. I expect him to look away, but he doesn't. "Can you, um, can you stay with me while I call?"

Ashton nods, pulling away from whatever loose hug we were in and reaching across the counter to grab my cell phone. He hands it to me, "Are you sure?"

I nod, dialing my mother's number. I hold my breath, part of me just hoping it would go to voicemail, but it doesn't.

"Hello?" My mother's voice brought me mixed feelings. I grab Ashton's hand, squeezing it before answering.

"Hi mom, um, its is Maddie," I stutter a bit, nerves taking over me.

"Madeline?" she says in almost a whisper. "How are you? Where are you?" She tries to have a stern tone, but I can hear the concern in her voice, and they was enough to bring me comfort.

"I'm fine, more than fine actually. I'm still in Los Angeles," I look up at Ashton, he nods in encouragement. "I'm staying with Luke and Michael. Um, Grace and I just filled out our college applications, and I'm doing really well in school, I moved up to the top three in class rank."

"Honey," she began, catching me off guard. "I don't care how you are doing in school, how are you holding up? Are you okay by yourself?"

"W-what?" I stutter. She didn't question me staying with Luke, she didn't ask what colleges I applied to. She was acting like a mother. "I'm good, I have a job at a record shop but they are closed for the month. Luke and Ashton have really been watching out for me. I'm in good hands Mom."

"Are they still doing that thing of theirs?" My mothers judgmental tone was back.

"You mean the band?"

"Yes, that," I can hear her sigh.

"Yeah, actually things are looking good for them," I watch a quick smile flashes across Ashton's face. I can hear my Mom let out a judgmental tone, but I ignore it.

"Well, have a good Thanksgiving Madeline. It was- nice- hearing from you."

"Bye Mom," I whisper, the line going silent. I put down my phone, looking up at Ashton who was full out grinning now. I smile, jumping up and giving him a hug. "She actually sort of cared about me Ash."

"I'm so proud of you," he whispers, giggling and putting me back down. "Okay, back to cooking. This dinner isn't going to make itself," he says with a clap.

"Okay, what is first on the list?" I squint at the ingredients on the counter. "I will start on the stuffing." I grab the box stuffing and read the directions on the back.

"Are you sure you don't want me to cook?" Ashton looks at me with caution as I turn on the stove.

"No Ash, I can cook," I say determined.

"Really because the turkey-"

"That wasn't my fault! It was the oven!"

"Yeah, of course," he wiggles his eyebrows at me. I hit his arm, but it just makes him laugh. He grabs a few cans out of the pile of food he bought earlier today at the grocery store, opening them and looking inside. He pours a big blob of jello-like maroon goop on a plate.