"I'm no doctor, but yeah," you said with a curled lip while scooting away from her.

"What're you scoochin' away fer?" Her gaze turned cold.

"I may be contagious," you quickly explained. "You look like you have a lot on your plate, you don't need what I have on top of what you have." Hopefully that calms her down.

Her face twisted into a scowl. "How do you know I'm sick?"

"We're both in a hospital...?"

"Oh."

She glanced away, posture relaxing, when the receptionist stood up, stared at you, and cleared his throat. "[F/N], Dr. Braithwaite is here to see you." You wordlessly stood up and made your way to the door he escorted you to. "His room is second on the left," the man said briskly before returning to his desk.

You crept into the room and sat on the examination table, wincing at the obnoxious crinkling of the paper. It wasn't long before an older man entered and closed the door. "Hey, [Y/N]," he said with a smile, "I'm Dr. Braithwaite. I heard you've been having a fever?"

"Yeah." Your head nodded to confirm. "It's not super hot degree-wise, but I feel really, really hot."

"I see," Dr. Braithwaite said. "Any other symptoms?"

"I felt sick last night, like, nauseous, but I think that was just food poisoning. I've had the fever since early yesterday, though," you told him.

"Okay. I'm gonna look down your throat and get your heart rate here, then we'll go from there." The doctor looked at the back of your throat with a flashlight, then put his stethoscope to your heart. His brow furrowed the longer he listened. "It seems you've got quite the heartbeat, there. Any history of a high heart rate?"

"Nope." You let out a grunt of annoyance knowing you were sick. "How long will I be out of work for? And how long should I take the antibiotics?"

Dr. Braithwaite said, "Well, there's something going on here for sure, but I'll need to take a blood sample and get down to what the exact virus or bacteria is before I can prescribe anything. Certain illnesses don't respond to certain antibiotics." You bared your teeth at the thought of getting your blood drawn. "I know," the doctor said sympathetically, "but if you want me to get the car over the hill, I'm gonna need some fuel." He gave a weak smile after the joke.

"Alright," you said with a dry chuckle. He left momentarily and returned with the vial and needle. The drawing process was quick and relatively painless as long as you didn't look.

"See, that wasn't so bad! Now, give me about thirty minutes to narrow down what exactly is ailing you. You can go into the waiting room and I'll just call you back in here once the test results show," the doctor said, opening the door and gesturing toward the hallway.

"Okay, thank you," you said with a smile as you returned to the waiting room. The woman was gone, but the old man was still there. You pulled out your phone and began to scroll through social media, trying to ignore his stare from across the room.

"Do you happen to know a man named Arnold Rayno?" he finally asked.

The question caught you off-guard. "I, uh... no, no I don't," you stuttered in confusion.

"Yes, you do. He's all around town, he's everywhere, and I've seen you with him!" the old man exclaimed.

The receptionist butted in, "Mr. Ramirez, this patient doesn't know Arnold. Nobody you've talked to today knows Arnold."

A pang of pity went through you as you realized the old man probably had dementia. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, sir," you said kindly.

The man sighed. "It's fine. Coulda sworn..." he began mumbling something about Arnold when Dr. Braithwaite opened the door to the patient rooms and gestured for you to come back in.