We are under the same sky.

I'm still breathless and my heart is racing, as I follow his directions and I grab the jacket in my hands. I begin to wear it, awkwardly tucking the first arm into the sleeve; it would be so much easier if I just watch what I'm doing, but yet I can't. I cannot look away from his face.

From his smile, from his gaze.

It's something that takes my breath away. Like suddenly there is no more air in my lungs. I think I've never seen a smile so bright, so genuine, so full of feelings.

Hope and love.
Commotion and affection.

I'm completely overwhelmed by all he is able to convey to me, just by looking into my eyes; and I simply keep staring at him intently, not to miss even the smallest detail.

"What is this about?" I ask, raising an eyebrow and letting his hands guide me toward the exit. He settles behind me, holding me by the hips, then gently pushing me toward the door.

"Just wait and you'll see." He chuckles, probably amused by my intrigued expression just now; he still has a wide smile etched on his lips. He moves his free hand under my face; in an affectionate gesture, he closes the last button of my coat, so that my neck remains covered, protecting me from the cold.

And it's also these little attentions of his toward me that make my heart beat harder and faster for Jake.

He lowers his hand again, resting his fingers on the handle and opening the door in front of me. I take a few small steps ahead, stopping under the porch before the wooden steps. "Okay, I'll try to resist." I laugh with him; besides, his laugh it's so good-humored, heartfelt that it's contagious. "Although..." I print a fake resentful grimace on my lips, despite that he cannot see my face from the position he's in. "...You scared the hell out of me earlier when you shouted my name."

"Oops, sorry." He immediately brings himself in front of me, quickly, so he can look me straight in the eye. I watch him as he moves the corners of his mouth upward, to show me an embarrassed and mortified expression; he runs a hand through his hair, sighing. "It's because of the excitement..." He lets the sentence die there, with the sole purpose of further piquing my curiosity. "It's just that I noticed something ... and I wanted to show you right away." He winks, taking me by the hand.

"And-what are we waiting for?!" I ask rhetorically, urging him on, so as not to keep me on my toes any longer. I can't help but show a wide smile on my lips as I hop in place, totally thrilled.

He stays for a few seconds enjoying the scene amused; at the same time, he manages to show me all his affection, smiling back at me warmly. He squeezes my hand tightly, starting to walk. He doesn't descend the steps, but turns immediately to the left, flanking the wall of the residence.

I follow him in silence, swinging my gaze far and wide, trying to catch some clue; yet, I don't notice anything. Only the courtyard adjacent to the chalet appears before my eyes, lightly illuminated by a shy moon not too high in the sky. I quicken my pace in order to be able to grab Jake under my arm, clutching my chest against him; it will be the warmth given off by this contact between us that makes me feel pleasant the winter breeze that caresses my face, albeit icy.

We turn the corner and I remain stunned, frozen in place, as soon as I see him stop in front of a dark metal ladder. I'm surprised; sure, we' ve never scouted the surrounding area, but who would expect a staircase leading straight up to the roof?

Besides, we had far more important matters to attend, rather than wasting time scouting.

Well, and not only that...

He turns his gaze to me, tilting his head to the side; he directs a reassuring expression to me as he loosens the grip of our hands, pointing to the ladder. "I'll let you do the honors." He takes a small step backward, giving me the space needed to climb up. He gives a light knock on the handrail, using his fist, to demonstrate its solidity; the clangor that follows, however, instead of reassuring me achieves exactly the opposite effect. "Don't worry, it's safe and stable." With a determined nod of his head, he tries to let me know that I can trust him.