In a corner kick rescue.

I barely contain a cry of joy.

My hunch was right, I just hope it isn't too late. From the video call, behind Thomas' back, I can catch a glimpse of the house Jake is in. Thomas is standing outside of it, a few steps from the door.

It looks like a small mountain cabin, completely made of light wood and surrounded by tall beech trees. It's a simple construction: wooden door, small side-hung windows and a small porch outside.

I turn to Thomas: "Please tell me we're on time..." I feel myself dying as I ask, I couldn't handle a negative answer.

Thomas wrinkles his brow and gives me a worried look. "We're on time, but we have to hurry!" He replies quickly, his voice overcome with apprehension.

I'm getting nervous too.

"I'm calling Helen, please send me the updated location..."

I disconnect Thomas' call and, without wasting any time, I phone my sister.

As soon as she answers I don't even leave her time to talk. "Heleeeen, where are you???" I quickly press her.

"I just got here, I did 120 mph to be here on time! I think I caught a Velox too... however I don't see your friend" She retorts.

"I'm sending you the updated location, please catch up with him, he's waiting for you".

I forward her the position just sent by Thomas.

"Helen, there's still time, but he needs urgent help

"Helen, there's still time, but he needs urgent help..."

"I'm already on my way" She tries to reassure me. I hear her start the engine and drive off. "It's five hundred meters away, I'll be quick.."

She presses on the throttle.

I forgot how crazy my sister was. I can perfectly hear the car skidding and accelerating down the dirt road. The fact that she is a doctor, and therefore she saves lives, clashes with her being a hit-and-run driver, I think.

I bring a hand to my forehead and I smile.

She's only one of its kind.

"I see your friend, he has the same beard as the picture you sent me" She chuckles. She pulls up and I hear Thomas' voice quickly approach the phone.

I listen to their conversation, I'm appalled and terrified.

I hear him tell of how Jake is in a state of semi-unconsciousness, where he barely reacts to stimuli and has a very weak pulse. He found him lying in bed, white as a corpse and drenched in sweat, almost unconscious.

On the floor beside the bed there were alcohol and a knife. He must have tried to remove the bullet himself, only to realize that it would only make the situation worse. I can't imagine his suffering in attempting such a desperate act, alone, abandoned to his fate.