En tête à tête with the Death.

I was petrified. I was still while as I stared at my cell phone screen. I couldn't believe my eyes, couldn't believe what I had just witnessed.

Lilly's video call had just stopped. The screen suddenly went black, only to turn back onto the chat screen.

-LILLY is now OFFLINE-

I can't belive it.
No no no no no.
No, this isn't happening.
I couldn't believe what I had just seen.
I started screaming with all the air in my lungs and copious tears started to shed out from my eyes.

Suddenly I was standing in the middle of the room, away from the couch where I had been sitting until a moment ago.
My head was spinning fast.
I felt myself weak, I felt the living room floor crumble under my feet.
I was sinking, as my right mind.

It was all so blurry.

How did he find them?? How did he reach them?? I thought, in tears.
It had supposed to be a safe place, that house had to be the shelter that would keep them away from the killer, the man without a face.
My friends were supposed to be safe, I believed that with all my heart until few seconds ago. I was so steeped in the belief that everything would go smoothly, that he would never find them.

I lowered too much my guard.

I was firmly convinced that everything was almost over, that Michael Hanson, the man without a face, was one step away from being thrown in jail, to rot in a cell for the rest of his days. I truly believed it was only a matter of time before the police caught him red-handed, inside that house, full of evidence that he was behind Hannah's kidnapping.
That he was behind all the suffering of my friends.

Nothing was true.

With which assumption did I believe everything would go smoothly? With which conjecture did I believe that we would prevail on an assassin?
Us? simple boys against a man who has nothing left to lose from life? who has already lost everything he held dear in the world? His lovely daughter.

He was hungry for revenge, hungry like a wolf that follows its prey and waits only for the propitious moment to attack it and kill it in coldblood, without mercy, to satisfy its hunger.

I was destroyed.

After a full minute in shock, I was almost back to normal. I unlocked my phone, my hands shaking.

I opened Jake's chat: "JAKEEE."
I continued.
"THIS CAN'T BE TRUE."
"NOO."
I was still seeing everything blurry.
With the sleeve of my sweatshirt I wiped the phone screen from my tears.

-JAKE is now ONLINE-

He replies: "Call the police immediately and give them the address of the house. Take a deep breath. Everything will be fine."
I didn't have time to answer that...

-JAKE is now OFFLINE-

Jake why? Why did you go offline?
While I was shivering I dialed the number.

"Ardenbach Police. How can I help you?"

With a cold shoulder and nerves I didn't think I possessed, I answered. "My friends are in danger. The same murderer suspected in Amy Bell Leywis' murder and the kidnapper of Anna Donfort is about to break into their home. He wants to kill them."
I quickly dictated the address obtained from the location on Hannah's phone.

"I alerted units in the area. The patrol car closest to the location has already mobilized, they will be there shortly. Please rest assured, we'll get him."

I wasn't calm, I wasn't even remotely calm, I no longer believed in the police. But what else could I do? It's all so damn crazy. We've gone too far.

I tried to keep calm while the operator asked me a few more questions. I told him what happened while I was on video call with them.
I just omitted from the story that the call was received on Hannah's cell phone.