Ubi Tu, Ibi Ego.

I close the email received from Alan, while I watch Jake continue typing on the keyboard.

I'd like to spend time with him without having to think only about progressing the investigation, tracking the movements of a murderer or hacking a cop by penetrating the entire the police station's network.

A normal afternoon of small talk and affection, like two ordinary people in love.

Selfish of me? Yeah, a little, but I'd like to.

I wonder if Jake feels the same way. Maybe right now he's struggling hard to stay focused. He's writing frantically in a programming language that I don't understand in that black software window.

But... who knows if he, like me, is thinking about something else?

I sigh and, in full resignation, i lower the screen of my laptop. I just watch Jake, swinging his gaze between the different monitors. Those commands written by him, in white on black, are hypnotic and draw all my attention.

Ting.

The sudden sound of a notification makes me jolt slightly, waking me up. I was completely absorbed into my thoughts. After finishing lunch, I had set the ringer volume to max, as I was worried about Jessy.

And I still am. I hope it's a message from her, confirming that both she and Phil are okay.

Luckily, it's actually her: "Hi, I just got home. I'm so angry 😤😤😤😤 The nurses kicked me out, and that's just because I tried to get into Phil's room."

I smile.

I'm having a deja vu. By now the nurses at the hospital have definitely put her on their blacklist.

"Had the same thing happened with Dan or am I wrong? 😅" I send and add: "How is he?".

"He had surgery this morning, they closed his wound with stitches. He's sleeping now. They should release him soon, the doctor said it's not a serious wound but he'll need to take some rest."

I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Thank God, I'm much relieved now." I comment on her words, happy with the news. It could have been worse, a lot worse.

"Anyway, I was thinking of bringing your car back later and Hannah's mobile phone too, if that's okay." She proposes, bringing back my mind that I'm without my car and she has it.

"OK, but please rest first!" I answer at first glance, without thinking too much about it

"I slept for two hours in the hospital waiting room." She informs me, then continues: "I need to keep myself busy. Every time I close my eyes, I see Michael's face etched in my mind."

"I'm sorry Jessy 😔"

And I'm truly grieving. For all the terror and the fear she must have felt as the killer tried to break down the door to her room. Her screams, her cries.... While I couldn't help her.

Duskwood Legends [English Version]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara