burning

sal's pov

immediately after i came home from dropping y/n off at her dorm, the weight of the night before hit me like a tidal wave. i unstrapped my mask and set it down on my bedside table. my body sank into the bed encouraging gizmo to pounce up beside me resting his head on my chest. i sighed and watched gizmo's head rise with my inhale. my body felt like it was thousand pounds but weightless.

from the moment i met y/n, there was this warm energy ignited somewhere deep inside of me. i still couldn't describe how she made me feel but the feeling wouldn't stop burning, it wouldn't stop getting stronger. i beat myself up for months, worrying about containing the spread, trying to slow the burn. but every time we would meet to work together, i found myself falling victim to her again and again. i was amazed reading her work. i couldn't help myself, i admired her every thought and it was impossible to ignore the way her eyes lit up when she spoke with passion. y/n understood the world in such a way that i felt almost connected to her. and now i knew the connection was mutual.

i put my headphones in and closed my eyes.

when she pulled me into the bathroom ... it felt too good to be true. after playing her my confession, i wasn't even sure she'd offer a response and if she did, i would've died at a simple i feel the same way or even a slight sign of her consideration. but a kiss? my heart skipped a beat recollecting the feeling of her lips and the touch of her skin on mine. she was so soft ... even the way she tugged on my hair, her touch drove me insane.

i was falling deeper and fast. y/n was smart and sweet, but now ... i couldn't resist the desire- she was beautiful. the way she smiled had me in a chokehold. i had this image of her at the lake burned into my mind. she was carving her pumpkin, laughing at ash's that's what she said joke. it was cute to see her loosening up, laughing wholeheartedly at something so stupid. she looked up at ash, smiling wildly, her hair falling messily around her face. and then she turned to me, her eyes locked with mine. she was lost in the moment, only mindlessly holding the gaze while i was entranced. the setting sun warmly lit her eyes, so vibrant and alive. the vision was vivid enough i swear i could hear her laugh. i smiled to myself. the image morphed- now she was in her hand painted costume and i stood in the kitchen with larry where we watched the girls dance in the crowd. watching her lost in the music, her hair swaying against her body- that smile made me weak. 

i thought back to the first time i had seen her. she was timid but her spark had always been there. the way her eyes carefully observed everything in sight, i knew we were shared something deeper. my nerves were finally silenced, my intuition had been right. now i just couldn't wait to see her. i wanted to know everything about her. i needed more. i wanted to make her feel at least half as safe as she made me feel. she deserved the comfort she gave me. i thought about the way she treated me the first time meeting me, she was so indifferent and relaxed. and in my life, comfortable first impressions were seldom. but y/n was different- her heart had no malice. to reveal myself in the most vulnerable way yet receive affection and kindness ... feeling accepted was an understatement. for the first time i felt seen. i felt beautiful. she made me feel beautiful.