Alive At Night - Julian's Story

hello readers!

in case you haven't heard, julian's book is now in the works! titled Alive at Night, it is available on my profile.

i am so excited to be sharing this enemies-to-lovers, sister's best friend, workplace romance with a splash of fake dating that features our wildfire characters navigating their late-twenties.

grayson & nessa (plus their kids) play a big role in the plot of this story! also featured is collins' brother, cameron, as well as nessa's brother, rory, AND more of grayson's roommates from ATWO.

here is an excerpt from chapter one:

GARDNER LAW WAS housed in Dewey Square, and though I'd pick a landscape over a cityscape any day, there was a certain satisfaction in seeing the sun gleam off shiny windows on the high rise as I walked into it.

An overly enthusiastic man named Tyler met me at the front desk before walking me through a set of glass double doors and into a large space divided into smaller work areas. There was a set of doors on the far wall, and Tyler brought me to the farthest one. Which, as a pleasant surprise, had my name on it.

But it also had another name.

And that was a hell of a lot less pleasant to see.

I choked down a surge of temper before logic quickly did its work to reassure me. Because there was absolutely no way. No goddamn way.

"Cameron put you up to this, didn't he?" I forced a laugh, pointing to the names on the office door.

My name.

And her name. 

Like I said...No goddamn way.

Tyler responded by blankly staring at me, his enthusiasm wavering. "Put you up to what?"

Something turned in my stomach.

And then, a familiar voice barged into my ears for the second time that day. Sharp and irritated but also haughty. Smug.

"Believe it or not, I'm not a practical joke."

There was absolutely no goddamn way.

I turned on my heel to find myself eye-level with that larger-than-life bow again.

"I would prefer to not," I said dryly, wishing I hadn't given up my coffee so I had something to wash the sudden bad taste down. My eyes lowered to find Juniper cocking her head to the side. And then I couldn't help my attention from dropping even further as Juni rubbed her lips together, almost absently. When she finally relaxed her grimace, they were puffy and plump.

"What?"

"Believe it." I tried clearing my throat with very little success before forcing my eyes up to meet her gaze. "I'd prefer not to believe it."

Silence greeted my retort, but a tick in Juniper's jaw gave her away. I was impressed with how well she was holding her tongue in front of Tyler, but I knew. I knew what she was thinking.

Stuck at a stalemate, I crossed my arms over my chest. Tyler didn't appear to know what to do, so he clapped his hands together and flashed an uncomfortable smile. "Well, I'll leave you both to get settled in. Arlo from IT will visit shortly to set you up and ensure you have access to our systems."

Without another word, Tyler hurried back to his post in reception. Despite the awkwardness, I was sad to see him go. Because now that he was gone, I was left with...

"You're not supposed to be here," Juniper said, repeating the exact words she'd said at the cafe.

I ignored her—because yes, I was absolutely supposed to be here—and rounded the corner into my office. Which I assumed was our office. Seriously fuck that, though.

The small space was bright. Clean lines and high-end, modern furniture. The kind that looked like it would likely send me to the chiropractor after one week of sitting in it. A beautiful city view spread out before one of the desks, and I watched Juni drop into the chair in front of it. She leaned back, propping both her heeled feet on the desk as if to make a point. But that point was lost on me as her dress rode up, revealing confusingly long legs. I'd definitely never seen those before.

Juni immediately grabbed her dress to keep it from riding up further before sitting straight again. Feet on the floor. Elbow leaning on the desktop with fake nonchalance.

I shifted on my feet, clearing my throat. "That's my desk."

"No, it's—"

"Move your elbow."

She looked over her shoulder. And then swore beneath her breath before rounding on me.

"How are you even here right now?"

"I imagine the same way you are, Daisy. I went to college. I graduated college. I applied for a job. And then I—"

"Do not start with the names, Julian. People will get—"

"Just wanted to drop in to welcome our newest associate attorneys!" A woman with one of those classic corporate bobs strode confidently into the office, demanding our attention. "I know you're meeting with IT this morning, but let's connect later this afternoon after you visit HR so we can review other aspects of your onboarding."

"Excellent," I cut in smoothly before Juniper could open her big mouth. "Thank you so much, Daphne. I'm thrilled to be here."

"And we're thrilled to have you." Daphne, one of the firm's partners, gave a succinct nod that was genuine but final. She didn't have time to sit around all day and exchange niceties. Her gaze settled on Juni. "Juniper, thank you again for the coffee. I can't believe you remembered our conversation after your interview."

I narrowed my eyes on the cup in Daphne's hand.

A vanilla latte with six different modifications, huh?

I should have listened closer this morning in line. What were the chances that Juni would spill the secrets of Daphne's drink order? Zero to none, probably. Fuck it all.

Daphne disappeared down the hallway, the echoing of her heels fading the further she got. Before I could turn to Juniper and call her out for being a goddamn suck-up, another face appeared in the office's doorway.

Our office.

Hated that, by the way.

I didn't mind sharing. In undergrad, I lived with five dudes, and several of them had live-in girlfriends who didn't pay rent but also didn't fucking leave. Hell, I grew up dividing shower time with my five sisters. Sharing wasn't a problem for me.

But sharing with Juniper St. James?

___

check out more in Alive at Night -

the first book in the Wildflower Series!

Thanks again for all the support.

xoxo Amelie