Steady Beat

NESSA

I nearly collapsed when Grayson opened the door.

The memory of him standing in front of Ackley Hall hadn't been enough to convince my brain that Grayson was okay. But he was. He was more than okay. He was the best damn thing I'd ever seen with his predictable football tee and surprisingly messy hair, and I hated that I'd gone these past few weeks without him when I didn't need to.

"Nessa," he breathed, his face slack in shock.

Fresh tears were on my face now. I'd known it would be useless to try to keep them at bay.

"I talked to Julian," I choked out. It was the only thing I could think to say that would explain my sudden appearance. "He told me..."

I couldn't say it.

Grayson just stood there, blinking at me. When he finally spoke, his voice sounded scratchy. Unused. His eyes looked tired. Lonely.

"What did he tell you?"

It was quiet for a moment while I struggled with what to say.

"Everything," I finally whispered, but Grayson continued to look at me like he didn't believe it. He didn't believe I was actually here.

"Jules texted me," he said, "and he mentioned that you might be coming, but I still didn't think...."

Trailing off, Grayson looked me up and down. Drinking me in. I felt my cheeks grow hot.

"I'm so sorry," I added, praying he'd forgive me. "I wish I'd let you explain. I should have—"

Taking two swift steps forward, Grayson cut me off by grabbing my face with both hands and kissing me hard. Hard enough that I gasped, and he coaxed apart my lips with his so that he could deepen the kiss.

His mouth on mine felt like the home I'd always wanted.

"I needed to make sure this was real," he murmured after pulling back slightly.

"It is, I pro—" The rest of my word was muffled as he went back in to capture my lips again.

"Finally," he groaned.

My body instantly reacted to that, to the feeling of just...Grayson. But I still needed to talk to him. To apologize.

"Grayson," I muttered, trying to get the words out. "I'm so sorry. I feel so—"

Whisking my breath away, Grayson seized beneath my knees and hoisted me up in his arms. I wrapped my legs around his waist without a second thought, my arms flying to circle his neck.

"Shut up and let me kiss you," he growled.

So I did, letting his lips caress mine so perfectly. A kiss like only this annoying, lovable, football player knew how to give. With his mouth attached to mine, Grayson kicked the front door shut before pulling us down onto a white, cushy couch. He settled me into his lap, so I was straddling him, and then tucked his hands under my ass to tug me closer.

"God, I've missed you," he said after nibbling on my lip.

I swallowed a sob. "Six weeks, Grayson. I didn't know where you were for six weeks."

"Fuck, I know." He brushed his lips over mine tenderly. "It was one of the first things I thought of when I woke up."

I pulled back, searching his face. "It's true, then?"

Part of me hadn't wanted it to be.

Grayson used his thumb to brush my tears away. "That I was in a coma?" His expression looked apologetic, and it made me want to scream. "Yeah, baby. It's true."