A Wicked Waltz

NESSA

I was shocked to see that the ballroom had emptied. I knew that Grayson and I had been outside for a long time, but I hadn't realized exactly how long.

"They don't let people linger at things like this," he muttered in my ear as we headed inside. "They're strict about times because nothing good happens after midnight. And they'll have people in here early tomorrow to turn it around for a wedding or something else. "

He was talking like he knew from experience.

"Do you play at a lot of events?"

Grayson shrugged.

"No, not a ton. Just a few a year or whenever I hear of an opportunity like tonight."

I swallowed, noticing that he was dragging me toward the piano that sat in the middle of the ballroom. The space felt a hell of a lot bigger when it was empty. Our footsteps echoed as we crossed the floor where we'd danced earlier, and I tried to keep up with Grayson without tripping on the hem of my dress. We passed the table where we'd all sat, and it felt forever ago that I'd stared up at Grayson for the first time, realizing he was here.

"You sounded amazing tonight," I said, the words just sort of tumbling out of my mouth with my recollections.

He flashed a grin at me over my shoulder. "You know, I think that's the first time you've ever complimented me."

I rolled my eyes. "You don't need compliments, Grayson. You're cocky enough without them."

"I'm confident," he corrected. "There's a difference."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Everett."

He shook his head, but that smile of his didn't fade. It was mischievous, playful, and I couldn't decide how I felt about it. Nervous laughter practically threatened to spill from my throat, and he hadn't even said or done anything yet.

"Come here," he said, turning around to tug on my hand. I flew into him, landing against his chest with a thud that took my breath away.

He caught me with a groan, arms wrapping around my waist, and at first, I thought that maybe I'd stepped on his foot or something. But then he muttered beneath his breath.

"God, you feel good in my arms."

I blinked up at him, that silly little laugh finally releasing. This guy didn't know how to not say how he felt. And there was something about it that was refreshing.

"Do you honestly say just whatever comes into your brain?" I asked while he stripped his coat off me and tossed it on the end of the piano bench. Without it, I suddenly felt naked in my sleeveless dress.

Grayson replied with a dark chuckle. "No, I definitely don't. Not even close. And I would be more than happy to spill all my dirty thoughts to you, but that would be in breach of the little deal we just made."

His lips twitched, and he waited before saying anything else. Almost as if he'd hoped I'd tell him just to screw it and tell me anyway.

Part of me wanted to.

He exhaled and then whirled us around. Before I could even open my mouth to ask what the hell he was doing, Grayson lifted me on top of the closed grand piano, positioning me perfectly on the corner with one foot dangling just above the keys and the other over the smooth side.

"Spread your legs for me, Adler."

I nearly choked. "Why?"

"Because I'm going to show you something."