Home Section

NESSA

My brain was backpedaling. I hadn't meant to keep the Bren detail hidden from Grayson. Honestly, I'd forgotten that he didn't already know. It wasn't a secret, just something I was too embarrassed to admit before.

But as I watched Grayson try to absorb the information, I could tell that the omission of Bren's name when I'd initially told the story...it was making him see things that weren't there.

Grayson blinked. "Bren...like, Bren Hadaway?"

Yeah," I said lamely.

"Like one of your best friends, Bren?"

I sighed. "I only know one Bren, Grayson."

"Bren, as in your roommate's boyfriend?"

"They weren't together at the time," I rushed to say. "Not even close. We'd just met."

He nodded and turned to look out the windshield.

"But yes," I admitted quietly, and there was a short pause as I saw the gears turning in Grayson's mind.

"Sorry," he said with a humorless laugh. "I'm just trying to process that...."

"That Bren's dick was in my mouth?"

A deep scowl slipped onto Grayson's face. "You didn't have to fucking say it like that, but yeah."

I sucked in a breath and then released it slowly. "It was a one-night thing. I promise we've never been more than friends."

Looking at me out of the corner of his eye, Grayson raised a brow, and I tripped on my words.

"I mean, besides—you know."

"Yeah, I know," he bit out.

I grimaced as Grayson kicked the car into drive and headed back onto the highway. An awkward silence settled over us. Grayson currently had a broodiness about him that ironically reminded me of Bren. Not that I'd tell him that right now.

He hit his palm against the steering wheel suddenly, making me jump a bit.

"That's what he fucking meant by that," he mumbled, shaking his head.

I frowned. "Meant by what?"

Grayson shook his head again, annoyed. "That day we talked, I told him you were giving me a run for my money. And he said something back that I didn't understand. Until now."

My frown deepened. "What did he say?"

Bren and I didn't speak about what happened in my room that night. It was in the past, shoved away in a locked closet, and the key was lost. So the idea that he would mention it to Grayson surprised the hell out of me.

"He said...as someone who got in the door right away, I think this means she actually likes you."

I raised a brow. "Well, I guess he's not wrong. I do like you, Grayson," I said, keeping my voice quiet. "More than anyone I've been with."

That seemed to soften Grayson up. He visibly relaxed his shoulders. And his grip on the steering wheel. But after running a hand through his hair, Grayson asked, "Did he touch you?"

Nervous laughter bubbled up. "No. After Madie interrupted and fled, Bren actually said he felt bad that he didn't get a chance to...return the favor. But it was too weird, too awkward after that. He left."

Grayson seemed unamused. "Remind me to thank Madie next time I see her."

I chuckled, shaking my head. But then we fell silent again. I could hear the wind rushing past the windows. The tires hitting the highway beneath us. The hum of the engine. I itched to turn on some music. Something to break the tension. But I realized I had to be the one to do that.