"I'm supposed to be protecting you"

Skye's POV: 

The two days on the carrier pass by quicker than I would like them to. Now it's the morning of the mission and we're all standing around waiting for my father to let us know when we're leaving. I find myself straying away from them to get some alone time. 

I go outside on a landing looking out to the sea. There's a jet beside me and I go inside my flight suit to grab onto my dog tags. I hold them up to my lips and say a quick prayer to all the pilots before me. Please let this mission go well. You didn't all die for nothing. Give us some luck up there today. 

I hear the footsteps of someone with heavy boots and quickly spin on my heels to the person. There I see my father walking towards me. He steps beside me and looks out towards the water. He nods to himself before speaking, "I'm sorry. I wish I had told you beforehand Skye. I wanted to tell you, but they wouldn't let me." 

I purse my lips. "It's okay dad. I get it. I honestly just wish we weren't doing this," I say chuckling a little, "you know, I almost didn't accept the offer. I almost didn't come back at all, and now that we're really doing this I really wish I hadn't." 

He scoffs at my words. I look at him with an incredulous expression crossing my features. He holds his hands up innocently, "All I'm saying is, you don't wish that at all. You know you've loved being here. You loved the thrill of it. You would have regretted not coming." 

"I'm gonna regret coming a whole lot more if someone gets hurt today." 

Those are the last words spoken as I walk away to find everyone else. My dad stays put in his place looking out at the sea, but my heavy footsteps sound through the area and I'm quickly back to the main area. 

I spot Phoenix first. She makes eye contact with me and immediately senses that something is wrong. She raises her eyebrows in a questioning manner and all I can do is walk faster towards her. 

The first thing I do it throw my arms around her. She hugs back and we stay that way. No words are exchanged, but we both understand that this is somewhat of a goodbye. Just in case. when we pull back I put my hands on her face to bring some comfort to us both. She leans into my right palm making me smile. 

Over her shoulder I see Hangman looking at us sadly. I pat against Phoenix's face and nod my head to behind her. She whips around and then looks back with understanding. "See you later" is all I hear her whisper. 

Soon my feet are carrying me away from her and in front of Jake. He looks down at my face with a sense of guilt. "'m sorry you have to do this." 

I shake my head, "No, don't be. It's my fault for being so good at this pilot shit." 

This elicits a laugh from both of us. He nods heartily, "You are way too good at this pilot shit, but that's exactly why you'll be fine today. I'm ready to come save your ass like you've done for me too many times now. Gotta return the favor." 

That's all it takes for me to hug him around his waist. He seems shocked but slowly wraps his muscular arms around my neck and pulls me in as close as space will allow. 

"Angel!" I hear Rooster's voice from behind me. 

I tap Jake on the back as if saying goodbye and walk away, not being able to look back knowing that Hangman's face would be too painful to see right now. 

It doesn't take long for me to get to Rooster. I look up at his face with longing. I long to hold him. I long to be safely back in Miramar with him. Most of all I long to be with this man for the rest of my life. Not that we're already together, but you get the point. 

I leap up into his arms and hold on for dear life. I can't imagine what might happen if one of us doesn't make it out alive. If I don't have Rooster I can't be me. There is no me without him as horrible as that sounds. It's because of my attachment issues. 

My voice comes out raspy with sadness, "I'm sorry Rooster, I love you so much." 

He answers with just as much sadness but in a much more stern way, "You're my girl, Angel. You always have been and always will be my girl, and I just want you to know that if anything happens to me today that it will continue to stay that way even in death." 

I push myself away from him and look at him harshly, "Nothing is going to happen to you. I will never let anything happen to you." 

He grabs my face gently between his hands, "I'm supposed to be protecting you, my love." 

"You will make it out alive Rooster. I don't care what happens to me. I will do any and everything in my power while up in the air to save you," I let out a shaky breath, "even if that means you won't be able to keep me safe."

He rubs his thumb against my left cheekbone before leaning down to kiss my forehead. He keeps his lips against my skin and mumbles, "I can and will keep you safe. Don't do anything reckless up there because when we get back I swear I won't forgive you." 

My mouth finally lets out the sob that I've been holding in since we started hugging. My whole body shakes with cries and I push Rooster's hands from my face to cover my eyes with my own. He pulls my hands away and wipes the tears that fall. It's no use to wipe them since they just keep flowing and soon my whole face is covered in tears. 

"Hey, hey shhh. It will be okay. Angel," he lifts my face to make me look him in the eye, "you can do this." 

"You're going to hate me after this Bradley. I just know it." I whip my head around in an attempt to get his iron like grip off me. He just holds tighter and brings me into his chest. 

"Oh baby, I could never hate you. I've loved you too much for far too long for that to ever happen." 

I hear footsteps from behind us before someone clears their throat, "It's time." 

Time to get this over with. 

Authors note

So I think there's only going to be two or three more chapters left in this book. I honestly just don't know where to go with it after the whole mission and I might add some bonus stuff with flashbacks and memories. I think that might be nice. 

Love you all!