"It's been a pleasure flying with everyone"

Skye's POV:

I slip into my room before slamming the door shut behind me. My mind is everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. I move towards my bed before breaking down and sliding down against the mattress.

I might have been a bitch to Bradley, but I never once made him feel bad for who he hooked up with. I can't get very far into crying before there's a knock on my door. I wipe under my eyes before opening it up.

It's Pheonix.

"Hey babe, I figured we could get ready- oh god. What's wrong?" Her concerned face stares back at me, searching for an answer.

I smile sadly at her, "Nothing, I'm fine. Come in. We'll get ready together."

She knows that when I'm ready I'll talk but right now isn't that time. She's good like that, she doesn't push.

Pheonix brought her stuff to my room to get ready. We start by pulling each other's hair back into a slick bun and using gel to make sure no hair was out of place. I look at my watch seeing we have only half an hour before we have to be done.

I pull my uniform on, making sure it was buttoned to the very top and everything about me looked just right. I look to my left to see Pheonix doing the same.

I know I have to tell her. No time like the present, "Me and Hangman hooked up."

I don't hear a single sound for at least two minutes and I start to get worried before I hear a loud "WHAT?" come from her. "When, where, how did that even happen?" Her head is shaking and she's looking wide eyed at me. She never expected those words to leave my mouth. 

"Well, this morning. In the showers. I guess we both needed it. It didn't get very far, though" her eyes show confusion at my words.

"Didn't get very far? You hooked up. Sounds like you got pretty far to me, Angel."

I look at her, contemplating telling the whole truth. On one hand, I know I should because she's my best friend and she'll know what to say. On the other hand, I'm embarrassed by how everything went down and I don't want her to judge me.

She would never judge me though, "Bradshaw walked in. He didn't know it was us at first but then I yelled at Jake and he looked in the shower to make sure it was us. He got real mad. Called me a whore too. Guess he was just showin' how he really felt about me."

She looks at me with mild pity in her eyes but mostly anger, "Rooster said that?" I just nodded. "Oh. Well, his life is about to end!" She says in a false cheerful tone going to the door.

I rush behind her but wasn't fast enough to stop her from getting outside, "No, wait! Please don't." I try to plead but she won't listen to anything. She's much too angry at Bradley to listen to me.

She hurries down the hall in the direction of his room. It's just my luck that he walks out of his door at this moment.

"Hey, Bradshaw! Get the fuck over here. Now." An angry Pheonix is never good. Not for anyone.

He looks up at her with some fear in his eyes, "Uh, hello. I'm gonna just-" that's when he runs.

Pheonix is fast, but not fast enough to catch up to him, "Fucker, I'm gonna get you!" I know she's mad but I really don't want her getting in trouble.

"Let's just leave it, we have to get down there."

We walk to the elevator bringing us downstairs to where the ceremony is being held. There's tons of chairs lined up in front of the stage. Almost our whole class is already sitting in their designated seats.

I walk towards mine feeling eyes on me. I look around for a moment before making eye contact with Hangman, he looks at me guiltily knowing how bad I must feel. I send him a tight lipped smile before sitting with my legs crossed and back straight.

I stare straight ahead just waiting for something to happen. Natasha sits in the row behind me but hasn't spoken since we walked in. I know she's nervous, I am too.

The ceremony begins shortly after everyone sits in their seats.

Names are being called and it drags on forever until it reaches me.

"Skye Mitchell. Callsign 'Angel'." I stand up and stifly walk to the stage. I shake hands with men before going back to my seat.

Even more time passes and eventually everyone has been called. I glance at my watch. We've been sitting here for over an hour.

"And lastly, I would like to call Skye Mitchell to the stage once again. She's ranking first in her class, Skye please come to the stage." What? I had known nothing about this.

I go to the podium not really prepared for anything like this, "Wow, uh, I just want to thank all my fellow pilots. I would be nowhere without the support given here at the academy. I want to thank those who have flown with me, for always keeping me safe up there in the sky. I'll miss this more than anything but it's time to move on. It's time to let go of what we had here and go forth as the pilots we've become."

I pause, glancing towards Rooster. He's staring at me so intently I feel like I might explode.

"I wouldn't be the pilot I am today without the friends I've made here. I have everyone to thank for pushing me to be the best I could be. It's been a pleasure flying with everyone. I could only hope this isn't the last time."

Applause is heard all around. I turn to my superiors before saluting at them.

Now where am I headed?

Authors Note

I honestly have no idea how these ceremonies work. I know I didn't do that justice but I think the chapter was okay anyway? It was kind of a filler until the next. 

Is there anything specific you guys wanna see in this book? I'm going to try and make it as appealing to you all as possible.