"You're an angel, Angel"

The day I joined the naval academy was the day I realized who my biggest competitor in life would be. 

I never knew it, but Bradley Bradshaw pushed me to my limits. He frustrated me in the worst ways, but in some twisted way it was also the best ways. He knew how to push all the right buttons to make me want to be better. I've known him for, well, forever. We grew up together because of our dads. 

My dad basically raised him after his dad passed. He would grow to resent my father for pulling his papers to the academy and sending him back four years, but that same hatred could never be held between us. We loved each other as if we were siblings. Even if there had been something more, we could never act on it. 

I knew that he was the reason I pushed myself so hard. 

I just never knew I would lose that strive for greatness when he wasn't there anymore. 

Skye POV:

"Angel, you're gonna have to move your ass if you wanna catch up" I hear Rooster speak. 

My head shakes in amusement as I hit the stick, pushing the jet's speed up. "That better for you, Bird?" 

"Firstly, it's Rooster. Secondly, yeah it's much better, baby. I'm sure your WSO appreciates it, too" his voice crackles into my ear, the nickname giving me a sickly feeling in my stomach. 

"I kind of do, thanks Bradshaw," Natasha's voice finally coming out after many minutes of silence, "what I don't appreciate is all the banter going on. Just get that di-" 

"Okie-dokie Pheonix, you seein' anything yet?" I interrupt quickly knowing what was going to come out of her mouth. 

"No, no. Finish that sentence, Pheonix. I think I wanna hear this" Hangman's deep voice laughs out. 

"On your left, Angel!" Pheonix voices to me. I quickly break right; the force of the g's shoves me back further in my seat. I pull up going straight toward the sky. 

"Talk to me, Pheonix. Where am I going now?" My voice yells back at her. 

"Below us! You can do this, Angel." 

"Rooster to Angel, I'm coming in hot. You need me, I'm there." I see Rooster's f-18 coming up on my right. 

I got this. I got this.

I follow behind the jet quickly and swiftly, maneuvering as needed. I being to aim towards the bandit before locking in my target. "That's a kill." 

"Woo-wee! That's what I'm talking 'bout!" Rooster yells through the comm; his excited voice put a bit of a smile on my face which is quickly wiped away by douchebag Hangman talking. 

"Yeah, spectacular job. You're such an angel, Angel" he says with the most sarcastic tone I've ever heard.

My eyes turn to slits even if he couldn't see me. What was the reason for the attitude?  I've done nothing. I being to tune everything out. "Angel and Pheonix heading back to base. Over." 

"Great job, Hangman" I hear from Rooster before I quickly turn off my comm. Even he knew it wasn't good to push me like that. 

I sit silent for the rest of the ride back to base. Pheonix knew better than to talk when I got into one of my moods. I never got why Hangman needed to put others down to feel better. Of course when it comes down to it we're friends, but that doesn't mean he doesn't piss me off. 

As we approach the runway I turn my comm back on just to hear Rooster and Hangman arguing. "You didn't have to do that you dick. She did a good job. You just can't accept that she's a better pilot." Somewhere in my heart felt warm at the fact that Bradley was defending me, but that wasn't enough to make me feel better. 

"Angel to base. Coming in for landing." I dip down to the runway, landing as smoothly as possible. As soon as I could, I unstrapped myself and hopped out of the jet. I sped walk inside and went to the changing room. I could hear Natasha running after me. 

"Wait up, please Skye" she begs. I didn't want to take anything out on her. I knew I shouldn't, it wasn't fair. I slow just enough for her to catch up to me and from there we walk side-by-side. "Hey, don't let Jake get to you. Like Roost said, he's just upset you did better than him." 

I know she's trying to comfort me, but her words just make me feel worse. I look down at my boots with the feeling of tears stinging at my eyes. I didn't want to cry right here but it seemed that might just happen. 

I look to my left towards her face and she looks back. Her face softens as she notices the wetness building up. She makes the move to pull me in for a hug where I then let out a sob. She looks around, making sure no ones there before pulling me towards the changing rooms and sitting me down. 

"Do you want me to get him?" She questions while standing in front of me. Of course I knew she meant Rooster. I just couldn't bring myself to let him see me like this. 

"No, please. I'll be fine. Let's just get through today," I wipe my eyes, "tomorrow is graduation and then we'll be free of this." I knew I should be happy about this, but I really wasn't. I was going to have to leave everyone behind. I was going to miss them. 

Even Bradley Bradshaw.

-

Authors note:

I'm not sure how good of a start this is but hopefully as I continue to write things will get better. 

Also if it gets confusing with me going between real names and callsigns, someone please let me know. It's not super confusing for me since I know their real names pretty well, but it might be more difficult for someone who isn 't so obsessed. 

Until next chapter!