"I'm out of a job"

Skye's POV:

I in fact did not tell Bradley about my dad's visit. By the time he left I felt it was unneeded to tell him about it and cause more of an issue. I will tell him eventually about us making up, but with the funeral being today there just isn't any time.

I spent all of yesterday getting a new helmet made. If I was going to be putting the one I just got made in with his casket then I was going to need another helmet to wear from now on. I knew for a fact that this was going to be painful for me, but I want to pay all the respect I possibly can.

I woke this morning early enough to watch the sun rise. The yellow and purple hughes painted the sky in the most beautiful way and I like to think it was Ice up there making sure today went perfectly.

I agreed to stand with the rest of the Navy that would be in attendance. My father would be nailing his wings into the top of his coffin just before the burial. I would have to check in on him just before to make sure he was okay.

Bradley has been texting me since late last night to assure me everything would be fine today and that I was strong enough to get through this. It warms my heart that he believes in me so deeply, he's just so amazing.

As the sun begins to finish rising, I decide now is a good time to get ready. I place my uniform onto my body messily before going to the bathroom to pull my hair into a slick bun. I use gel to push down my baby hairs and it sort of makes my dark hair look greasy but I don't mind.

I finish up with my hair and move on to making my face look less dead. I cover up the dark circles that became more prominent the past few nights without sleep and then apply a bit of mascara to make me look less like a zombie.

I finish up with it and look at myself in the mirror. I start to wonder what Ice would be saying right now if he could talk to me. Probably something along the lines of, "Don't cry over a man Angel. No one deserves your pretty tears, not even me."

I snap out of whatever thoughts I was having when my cellphone rings from my room. I hurry back to my bed and grab my phone from somewhere under the pillow. I read the caller ID seeing Phoenix's name. Her voice comes through right after I pick up, "Hey Angel, was just wondering if you needed anything? I'm grabbing coffee before all this and didn't know if you'd want anything."

I think for a moment before shaking my head, "Nah, I'm good. Thank you though!"

She just says no worries and we hang up quickly thereafter. I look at the full length mirror by my bed at the messy uniform on my body. I push everything into place to make myself look more put together before grabbing my shoes and helmet from the closet. I do a time check and see I have about thirty minutes before I need to be in the cemetery.

I go bounding down the stairs for my front door. I stop at my wall with all my pictures before placing a soft kiss on the one with Iceman. I love you. Now and forever.

I push my clean looking shoes onto my feet before picking up the helmet I had dropped the floor before walking out my door looking at the picture one last time sadly.

The drive is spent listening to songs Iceman introduced to me as I periodically glance down at my watch to make sure I won't be late. It only took about fifteen minutes to get there and when I do I see a lot of Navy uniforms. I step out of my car with the black helmet and make my way towards everyone. I look for Sarah through the crowd and eventually see her crying a bit by the casket.

I immediately speed walk to her. A few people try to speak to me but I ignore them and keep walking. I finally get a few steps from her and she muster the clicking of my shoes because she turns around. Seeing me must trigger something within her because she flies towards me with her arms outstretched. I open mine up to hug her back and we cry a bit into each others shoulders.