Selene tilted her head. "Both. You must not let yourself get carried away, daughter."

"By what?" She snapped and looked pointedly at the river as if it were her greatest enemy.

"You know why you have confined yourself to this place."

Waverly hated how her mother could know a lot of things and still pretend to be oblivious. She knew the goddess had a very good idea what was wrong, but wanted her to admit it.

"Look at me." Selene ordered calmly.

Waverly felt a chill rotate around her neck as if she had been caught in a freezing lasso and was being forced to turn, but she fought against it, keeping her head steady and her eyes focused on the other side of her shoulder.

Selene sighed softly. "Sometimes, I forget that you are my child, and therefore, can be resilient to my powers."

She gently touched Waverly's cheek. "Please, look at me."

Waverly waited for the strange feeling, but it did not come. Then, she slowly turned.

Selene had a look of sympathy that Waverly knew was far from pretentious. Her mother did feel the things that she did, and for a moment, she felt embarrassed by the fact.

"You cannot acquire this that you so desire, Waverly." Selene spoke softly, almost pitifully. "He is bound to someone else for eternity and you must accept it."

"She does not deserve him." She whispered.

"And who does? Will you tell me why you say so?"

Waverly frowned and pulled her face from her mother's palm then dipped her chin between her knees. "I do not know."

"It is a cruel life, dear. I will not fill your head with loony fantasies that whatever you feel you should possess will, or should be yours. It does not work that way, even for someone of your heritage – especially for someone of your heritage. Even those who have strived hard to get what they want sometimes end up getting something different or nothing at all. Life is unfair. It is only oftentimes properly managed by those who hold to Andaie, but even she cannot guarantee that life is perfect."

Waverly wondered what Selene meant by “especially for someone of your heritage”, but did not ask any questions because she was certain the goddess would not elaborate.

"Andaie is good fortune." She stated absentmindedly.

"Yes, of course, and I believe you two have met." Selene said.

Waverly suddenly recalled a woman with dull brown eyes, and a green shawl over her head. She had met the goddess of good fortune during her trials and did not know it.

A chill ran up her spine as she recalled the goddess's words.

Since you do not remember me, I will depart from you.

"Luck has left me." She mumbled discouragingly.

"Oh, that is no bother." Selene said, rubbing Waverly's arms soothingly. "She will always come back. The world thrives on her essence."

"Can you tell me the reason why King Javan's daughter is blind? I am sure she was not born that way." Waverly requested, suddenly changing the subject.

She had overheard people whispering about Aurora's accident, but did not have the heart to stay and listen. The rumors made it sound like the princess had done something unimaginably brave.

Selene looked toward the stream. Waverly suddenly realized that the water was crowded with the head of Nixies, peering at her with half their faces still hidden under.