08 ✰ Midnight, October 2nd

Start from the beginning

"Talking to yourself?" he asked whilst pulling out into the main road.

I tucked a ginger strand behind my ear. "Why? Did you hear me?"

Magnus looked at me for a brief moment, before concentrating on the road once more. "No. So where to?"

He was obviously lying, but I was grateful he changed the subject then.

After telling him my address, he let out a low whistle.

"Townhouse in the Village. Very fancy," Magnus drawled.

"You're one to talk, Mr. CEO," I said.

Magnus cocked his head. "I'm surprised you know who I am. Me, a lowly he-wolf."

I flushed at his comment.

"It was a joke, wee witch." But his tone hinted otherwise.

"Stop calling me that," I threatened, cheeks hot.

"Why should I?"

"It's awfully condescending." Also, I was starting to get used to it.

"But it's true, I'm nearly two centuries-old."

Magnus had a point. Werewolves and witches shared the same age-defying traits so although Magnus was significantly older, he'd continue looking like a man in his early thirties for at least another century.

I shot back, "Then what if I called you big wolf?"

Magnus' voice was deep and delicious. "You'd be correct."

My legs crossed even tighter.

I really dug my grave with that remark.

Where was all of this desire when I was with Damiano?

"Tara's excited to be filling you in about the meeting." It was an obvious deflection, but I said it nonetheless.

"Really?" Magnus furrowed his brows. "Must be a Gamma thing."

"A Gamma thing?"

"Aye. All Gammas have an incessant need to please Alphas," he said nonchalantly.

I knew better than to ask about werewolf hierarchy, but curiosity got the better of me.

"Isn't Tara is the only daughter of Alpha Murdoch? Doesn't that make her an Alpha incumbent like you were?"

Magnus looked troubled then, but I made no comment about it.

"Female werewolves don't change ranks. They can only achieve a higher social status by marrying an Alpha to become his reigning Luna."

"How sexist. But lucky you, I guess," I tried to conceal the snippiness in my tone, but probably failed miserably.

Magnus gave me an enigmatic answer. "Not as lucky as I can be."

I almost laughed. "You know, that sounded vaguer than a fortune cookie."

Then he gave me that damn stomach-flipping smile again.

"What can I say? I'm a man of mystery."

"So full of mystery that you haven't answered my question."

"What question?" Magnus acted coy.

I spoke calmly, "Why did you bother showing up even after the meeting ended? Also, why are you driving a witch home, despite being the Alpha to one of the most respected werewolf packs in the continent?"

"That's more than one question."

"You're incorrigible." I looked at him, wide-eyed.

"Among other things," he added with a roguish smirk.