Fourth of July

Flashback: 3 years earlier

Weeks passed and Eden tried her best to keep her feelings for Bob under wraps but it was difficult when they spent most of their free time together. Bob didn't seem to fit in with the other's at Top Gun and Eden found that most of her friends from town had started moving away.

A knock on the door had Eden jumping up from the couch. "Hey mom I'm heading out for the night," she called, pulling the door open. There stood Bob smiling at her from the front porch. Eden took in the sight of him in a plaid shirt and jeans, a stark difference from the usual tan uniform she was used to seeing him in. 

Sophia Morris came in from the backyard wiping her dirt-covered hands onto her jeans. "Eddie? Did you say you were leaving?" She looked up from her hands to see Bob standing in the door. "Oh hello, Eddie didn't tell me she was having friends over. Don't mind me, I was just getting some gardening done." Sophia reached her hand out despite it still being covered in dirt but Bob didn't hesitate in shaking her hand. He continued to shake her hand as he talked.

"Hello it's nice to meet you ma'am, but don't mind us, we're actually just heading out. Eden graciously agreed to be my plus one to the Top Gun bbq this evening."

"I remember those well," Sophia laughed slightly pulling her hand back from Bob's grip. She turned to Eden smiling. "Well you kids have fun."

"I'll see you later Mom," Eden said turning and ushering Bob out of the door before her mom could share any embarrassing stories from her teenage days. 

"Text me if anything changes," she called. While Bob's back was turned she mouthed 'he's cute, new boyfriend?' Eden shook her head and mouthed back 'no just a friend.'

As they approached Bob's car he opened the passenger seat door for Eden, closing it behind her. 

"Eddie?" he asked as he started driving away. 

"Yeah just a nickname from when I was a kid that stuck. Mainly just friends and family use it." She saw Bob nod his head with a slight frown so she thought she was clarify. "You can call me Eddie if you want."

His smile perked up a bit causing Eden to smile as well. 

"Alright then. Eddie. I like it, it suits you."

Looking over she noticed a line of sunscreen running up the side of his nose that he had missed rubbing in. Without thinking she reached her hand out to rub it in, but Bob jumped slightly at her touch.

"Sorry, you've just got some sun screen, I didn't mean to scare you." 

"Don't worry about it," he said sheepishly, keeping his eyes glued to the road. 

He pulled up to the dorm houses that the Top Gun students stayed in while they were at school, parking in front of the one he roomed in. He lead her through the small kitchen and out to the deck. Eden saw the other pilots in the Top Gun program as well as some other people who seemed to be there as guest. 

"Want a drink?" he asked.

"Sure."

Bob looked around the crowded deck and pulled her over to where a cooler sat on a table, taking two beers out and offering one to her. 

"Spade was asking if you were coming tonight," Bob said after a moment of silence between the two.

"Oh? That's nice," she replied, trying to feign interest. She had seen Spade a few times since the day at the beach and he had asked her out a couple times but she kept skirting around an answer. It didn't feel right to her to start something up with Spade while she clearly had feelings for Bob, even if they weren't requited. 

"He's one of the guys that I like most around here. Seems like a good dude. Good pilot too."

"Speaking of, how's it going with class?" She said trying to change the subject back to Bob. That was one thing that Eden found out about Bob very quickly. He was humble to a fault, always down-playing his accomplishments, but she found that when she managed to get him talking that he would light up with excitement. It was endearing. "Are you the stand out?"

Bob's ears turned slightly red as he flushed with embarrassment, and Eden felt her heart skip a beat. He was irresistible. 

"I mean me and my front seater are currently first in class. That might have more to do with Ripley's flying than anything I'm doing but still. It's a good feeling."

"Hey, I'm sure you're kicking ass too. It's hard work being a WSO. My grandfather started out as a WSO and I heard the stories growing up." She found herself gazing into his blue eyes, watching the reflections of the deck lights in his glasses.

"Well well well. Look who it is, Eden Morris." Spade's voice came booming out of the crowd. He approached, sitting himself down right next to Eden and putting an arm over her shoulders. "You look good tonight."

"Um thanks Spade," Eden replied suddenly uncomfortable that Spade was openly flirting with her in front of Bob, but a quick look out of the corner of her eyes told her that Bob must not be noticing. He was listening intently to a conversation being held by the two people next to them. 

"Care to take a walk on the beach?"

"Oh I don't know about that. I came to spend some time with Bob," Eden said. 

"Don't worry about it. I was going to take a turn manning the BBQ anyways. I'll catch up with you later?" 

"Sure. I guess I'll see you later." Eden pulled at the label on her beer bottle as she watched Bob disappear into the crowd. Spade stood up, offering his hand to help her up. She could think of no reason to say no, so she found herself walking down the beach with him.