The First Day

Flashback: 3 years earlier

Eden ran along the beach after her younger cousin. Eden had spent the day with Amelia at the beach taking the few months she had at home before her new job to be with her family. The sun was setting and Eden had promised her Aunty Penny that she would have Amelia home before supper so she called for her cousin to head to the car. Eden starts up the car but hears only a faint clicking as she turns the keys. 

"Crap," she exclaimed. "Don't tell your mom I swore in front of you," she said turning to Amelia sitting in the passenger seat. 

"Mom swears in front of me more than you do."

"Still, keep quiet and I'll buy you ice ice-cream." 

"Deal. Can you fix the car?" 

"I think the battery's dead. We just need to jump it," she said as she listed the hood of the car. "As far as I can tell this is the battery? I'm terrible with cars, this all looks the same to me." 

"That's actually your radiator." 

A voice surprised Eden causing her to jump up smacking her head on the hood of the car. She clutched the top of her head in pain and turned to see a man with square glasses and a pleasant face standing behind her.

"Shit, I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you. I just noticed you were having trouble and was going to offer some help. Here let me take a look at that."

He reached his hand up to Eden's head and she sat frozen as the man ran his hands through her hair, pushing it back so he could see where she had hit her head clearly. Eden was prepared to flinch when his hand touched the already forming bruise but his touch was so gentle that she barely felt it. 

"You'll have a wicked bruise but I think you'll live," he said grinning at her. His smile was infectious and Eden couldn't help herself from smiling back. They stayed like that just smiling at each other until Amelia emerged from the passenger seat. Eden blushed slightly, fixing her hair so that it sat neatly again, and turned to face her cousin.

"Oh hey, Amelia, this is..." she trailed off realizing she didn't know his name.

"Bob," he offered up, pushing his glasses further up his nose.

"Hi Bob, I'm Eden. Bob's going to help us get up and running again."

Amelia raised an eyebrow looking between the two.

"Mhm, well I'm going to get ice-cream while we wait. Bob do you want anything?"

"Uhhh sure? I'm not sure ..." Amelia cut him off.

"Don't worry I'll surprise you." She held her hand out to Eden who grabbed some money from her pocket giving it to the younger girl. With that she hurried away. Bob started grabbing jumper cables from his car, hooking his vehicle up to Eden's 

"Your sister?" Bob asked as he worked.

"No my cousin actually. Close enough to be sisters though, we're both only children so we've stuck together growing up."

"That's nice. I'm an only child too but my cousins live all across the country so it was just me  growing up. Anyways you can probably start it now. We just need to let it run for a bit." 

Eden hopped into her car and turned the keys, the car stuttered once and then started up.

"Woohoo. Thanks I really appreciate this Bob."

"Don't worry about it, my momma always told me to help when someone was in need."

"What brings you to Mirimar?"

"I've just been accepted to Top Gun actually."

"A pilot hey?"

"Actually a WSO."

"So you're smart?" Eden asked teasing him slightly.

"I mean... well... yeah... a bit," he stuttered. 

Luckily Amelia returned at that moment to save him from further embarrassment. She held out two waffle cones with strawberry ice-cream in one hand, eating her own cone with the other. Eden grabbed the ice-cream offering one cone to Bob who happily took it from her. 

"I just got you both Eden's favourite," Amelia said.

"Great choice Amelia," Bob said enthusiastically. "Much appreciated."

"We should probably head out, we were supposed to be back ages ago. Aunt Penny is going to start to worry." 

Eden and Amelia got into their car, Bob took a couple steps back to give them room to drive away but Eden rolled down her window to call out to Bob before she left.

"Thanks again Bob. By the way you've got some ice-cream on your nose." 

She laughed as Bob looked embarrassed and wiped at his nose with the back of his hand. She waved goodbye and in her rearview mirror she could see him standing with his hand raised, waiving as they left.

 She waved goodbye and in her rearview mirror she could see him standing with his hand raised, waiving as they left

The radio played quietly on the ride back to her aunt's. Amelia chattered away beside her but Eden was preoccupied thinking about Bob's smile. 

"Earth to Eddie! Are you even listening?" 

Eden looked at her cousin, eyes wide as she tried to remember what Amelia had been talking about but she was pulling a blank.

"Too busy thinking about lover-boy back there I bet."

"Shut up, I am not," she said sticking her tongue out.

"Remind me which one of us is supposed to be the child here?"

Eden pulled up to her Aunts house, parking so her cousin could get out.

"Shut up, go tell your mom you're home before she calls the cops." Amelia hopped out of the car and ran towards the front door. "I love you," Eden called to her.

"Love you too," she replied back. 

Eden sped off towards her house. Her mom was in the front yard gardening when she arrived.

"Eden Morris, you aunt is going to murder you if you're late getting Amelia home again." 

"I'm sorry! My car battery died. I had to get some guy to help me out."

"Some guy? Anyone I know?"

"Not even someone I knew. He's a new Top Gun recruit."

"Did you give him your phone number?"

"Jeez mom, no what was I supposed to say? Thanks for fixing my car, I'm clearly useless, want to go out sometime?"

"You never know unless you ask," she said in a sing-song voice.

"Yeah yeah. Well if I run into him again I'll give it a try."