Sun and Sand

Flashback: 3 years earlier

The sun shone down warming Eden's skin as she laid out on the beach drying off after surfing a few waves. A figure moved to stand between her and the sun casting a shadow down on her, leaving her with a slight chill. Reaching her hand up to cover her eyes she saw none other than Bob standing in front of her slightly sweaty with his shirt sticking to his chest. He looked a little sheepish as he bent down to grab a frisbee that had landed near her feet without her noticing.

"Hiya Eden," he said holding up the frisbee to show her why he had appeared so suddenly.

"Hey Bob. I can't seem to get rid of you can I?"

"Oh sorry we're just here letting off some steam." He pointed to where several other men were standing with their shirts off, yelling for Bob to throw the frisbee back.

"I'm just kidding it's nice to see you."

He rubbed the back of his neck with his hands looking conflicted as the yelling for him to return to the game got louder, then he noticed her surf board laying in the sand next to her.

"You surf?"

"I do. I'm not a pro or anything. It's just something I picked up living beside the beach."

"That's awesome I always wanted to learn to surf but sadly I grew up in the middle of nowhere. The closest thing we had to a beach was a big puddle on main street when it rained."

Eden laughed and Bob smiled to himself clearly happy that she thought he was funny. 

"Dude! What's the hold up?" a guy yelled running up to the pair. Eden recognized him as Spade from the other night. "I'm sorry I didn't realize you were talking to our friend here. How's it going ..." he trailed off. 

"Eden," she filled in for him.

"I knew that. I wouldn't forget you so quick. What are you guys talking about that kept dear old Bob here from our frisbee game?" Spade threw an arm around Bob's shoulder's shaking him slightly like an older brother might to when teasing his younger brother.

"I was just telling Bob I could teach him how to surf."

Bob looked at Eden in surprise. 

"Oh really? I don't know..." he stuttered trying to get a full sentence out but Spade cut him off.

"If Bob's not interested I could use a teacher."

"Well Bob what do you say?" she asked.

"I better not. I'd probably end up hurting myself. Best to stick to the air I think." 

Eden's smile fell a little bit but she took that as the confirmation she needed that Bob was clearly not interested in her. 

"Well there you go," Spade said, "let the guys know I'm about to be a surfing pro."

With a pat on the back from Spade, Bob headed back to the group of men still waiting for the frisbee to return. He looked over his shoulder once on his trip back, only to see Eden getting helped up from the sand. Spade even went as far as to brush off some of the sand stuck to her back.

"Alright," Spade said clapping his hands together in front of his body, "what's first?"

Eden was determined to make the most of the situation. It didn't matter that Bob wasn't interested, Spade was a very attractive man and couldn't be more obvious with his interest. She decided she might as well give it a try.

"First up is balance."

"Balance? As in balance?" he said as he lifted one foot in the air in a mock tree pose closing his eyes.

"If that's what you call balance we've got a lot more work ahead of us than I thought."

She reached forward and pushed lightly on Spade's chest and couldn't help but laugh as he teetered backwards, eventually falling on his ass, clearly not expecting her to push him.

"I promise I'll do better. I'll be your star pupil, but I think we can probably move past the basics."

"Alright if you say so," she said not convinced but curious to see how this was going to play out. 

They got out into the water and she helped Spade hop onto the surfboard. She stood next to the board waiting for the right wave to come in. 

"Ok... Ready... And... Now!" she called, pushing the board forward. He paddled forward using his hands, and attempted to stand when she yelled out for him to. He immediately tipped off the board and fell into the water. He broke the surface, sputtering and shaking water out of his eyes.

Collecting her board and swimming back to her, his face was pink from embarrassment. 

"Harder than it looks."

"Yeah it really is."

"How many people have you taught to surf before?" he asked.

"I've never taught anyone to surf before."

"Are you kidding? No wonder I went tumbling into the ocean. I've got a rookie teacher!" Eden's mouth dropped open and she sputtered trying to think of something to say. "I'm kidding. That one was all me. Karma heard me talking a big game and decided to put me in my place."

Eden continued to swim and talk with Spade until she herd his friends call him from the beach. Heading in they traded phone numbers, and Eden had to admit she enjoyed his company more than she thought she would. She looked around the beach for Bob but only saw the back of his shirt heading towards the parking lot.