Fancy Running into You

Flashback: 3 years earlier

"I'm so sorry. I should watch where I'm going," Eden said flustered, reaching her hands out. 

She had been out with an old friend at the Hard Deck on their way out the door when she ran into a solid figure trying to enter. The man pushed the hair that had fallen in his face back with his hands and grinned at her. 

"Oh it's you!" she exclaimed upon realizing it was the same man she had met yesterday. 

"Fancy running into you again," he said.

"Literally," she laughed. His eyebrows furrowed slightly as if trying to process what she had just said, and worried that he didn't find the joke funny she continued. 

"What are you doing here? I guess that's a stupid question, why do people come to bars if not to enjoy themselves." She bit her lip once she realized she had started rambling. 

"That's a good question actually. Turns out I'm the first one of the class here. We're supposed to be meeting here tonight but I don't see anyone yet. I guess I'll grab a drink and maybe find someone to talk to in the meantime." 

"Oh well I won't keep you then."

"Do you want to join me," Bob spoke at the same time as Eden causing them both to laugh. "If you don't want to stay don't feel obligated to."

"No no, I'd love to join you," Eden rushed to get the words out. Bob hand his arm out as if to say after you. 

"Do you want to grab a table and I'll get us some drinks?" Eden opened her mouth to protest and say that she could get her own drink but he stopped her. "I still owe you for the ice-cream the other day so I'm buying."

Eden headed back out to the patio, sitting at her favourite table right along the beach with the best view of the water. Bob returned shortly after two drinks in hand.

"I forgot to ask what you wanted, so I just got you my favourite this time," he settled in to his seat. Eden noticed that he had moved his seat slightly closer to hers and tried to keep from smiling. "So did you grow up here?"

"My whole life. My grandpa moved here years ago when he was stationed at the base, and then my mom and my aunt never left. Not me though. I'm moving to L.A. in a couple months." 

"What takes you out west?"

"I have an internship. It's shit pay and a small company but better than anything I could be doing around here." 

"I don't know, Mirimar is pretty nice so far. The locals are nice at least." 

Eden rolled her eyes at that. She spotted a couple leaving a pool table and grabbed Bob's hand dragging him towards it. 

"Know how to play?" she challenged.

"I can get by," he replied. He shot first poorly lining himself up, ending up sinking one of her balls instead of his own. Eden let out a laugh and he pointedly looked at her.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. Here, try this instead."

She moved around the pool table until she was right next to him. She came up behind him and helped him to place his hands properly on the cue. The next shot was significantly better causing Eden to cheer. Eden saw a red blush creep up the back of his neck so she stepped away. They continued on like that, playing pool and talking until several more people wearing their naval uniforms entered the bar.

The group all introduced themselves to one another. A few names that stuck out were Spade, Elvis, and Ridley. They quickly made themselves at home at the pool table joining in and eventually taking the cue from Bob. Eden began to feel like she had started to overstay her welcome upon seeing that she was the only one not in a uniform and that Bob had moved to the back of the group.

"Hey Bob I'm going to head out," she said leaning closely to him so that he could hear over the crowd of people.

"Let me walk you to your car."

Eden tried to protest but Bob was already a step ahead of her. As they walked Eden's stomach started tying itself in knots. She felt Bob's hand brush up against her own in the crowd and debated grabbing ahold of it, but as she hesitated, overthinking, the moment passed and the space between them grew slightly as they exited the bar.

"I'm glad you were able to stick around to join me," Bob said as they reached the car. Eden turned so that she was leaning up against the vehicle. Bob had a lopsided grin on his face and Eden couldn't help but think about how soft his lips looked. Bob was standing too far away for Eden's liking so she leaded forward slightly as she responded.

"Me too. It was nice to meet everyone." 

Flashes of thoughts crossed her mind. Kiss him. No, wait for him to kiss you. Do you smell like beer and sweat? Oh god he's getting closer.

Bob took half a step towards her. Eden's heart beat started to race, her eyes started to close, and she felt her mind go blank, but Bob's hand reaching out towards her stopped her in her tracks. She looked down to see his hand outstretched as if to give her a handshake. Hesitantly she reached her hand out as well, feeling Bob's warm hand wrap around hers. 

"I'll see you around?" he asked.

Eden still trying to catch on to what was happening simply nodded. Then still frozen in spot she watched as Bob turned and walked back into the bar.

Quickly getting into her car, she laid her head down on her steering wheel embarrassed that she had so completely misread the situation. Clearly Bob just meant to be friendly and she had misinterpreted his kindness for interest in her. She groaned to herself replaying the dreaded handshake over and over in her head. She felt like an idiot.