So We Meet Again

Present day:

Eden needed to get herself under control so she focused on her breathing. Deep breath in, hold for a moment, deep breath out, repeat. Once that was under control she started sorting through the racing thoughts in her head. 

Why was Bob back in Mirimar? It could only be because of Top Gun, why else would he be wearing his uniform?

He had graduated years ago. Despite that, there he stood just as smiley and sincere as always.

Did he remember her? Obviously he did. She could still see him still looking around the crowded bar for her.

Did he know she would be here? No way. Last she had spoken to him she had been heading to L.A. and not looking back.

Did he noticed how awkward she was? Eden groaned and banged her head gently on the door. Of course he noticed. She'd stood frozen and then ran away like a deer in headlights.

Eden could only hope that he and his friends were leaving soon. A new group of faces entering the bar in uniform quickly cut down that hope. She debated just sneaking out the back door and forgetting this had ever happened but she needed to go back out there. Penny would need her help behind the bar. 

Rushing to the bathroom she splashed some cold water on her face. Looking into the mirror she hoped that the lighting was just terrible and that she didn't actually look this tired. Wetting her hands again she brushed them through her hair, tucking it behind her ears, trying to make it look more presentable. Then she thought better of it and shook her hair back out. She should not be worried about impressing Bob, he was just another customer now. 

A customer that she used to be and probably still was in love with. A customer who somehow got even hotter in the years since she had seen him last. Taking one last look in the mirror she straightened her shirt, put on a brave face, and walked back out to the bar. 

Doing her best to avoid the area where Bob was still standing, she snuck back behind the counter without encountering him. Penny gave her a weird look but Eden waved her off, jumping right back into helping the swarm of customers at the bar. From the corner of her eye she saw Bob move to stand behind the girl she was currently serving. So once she had handed over her drink she turned to focus on the other side of the bar. She was not ready to talk to him yet. Especially not in a crowded bar while she was at work. 

Standing at the far end of the bar was the tall guy from before. She approached smiling widely trying to ignore the stabbing feeling in her gut when she saw Bob's face fall. 

"Hey Lieutenant what can I get you?" 

"You can call me Hangman sweetheart. Lieutenant just seems so formal among friends. We're going to do a round of shots," he said indicating himself and two other pilots standing with him. She grabbed four shot glasses lining them up on the bar in front of her. Hangman quirked an eyebrow up but didn't say anything. She held up a bottle of tequila and he nodded in approval. Pushing three shot glasses towards him and keeping one for herself she yelled to be heard over the crowd.

"To new friends!"

Hangman and his friends repeated the words and all four downed their shot. Hangman placed a toothpick in his mouth with a smirk and winked at Eden before heading back to the pool table. Rolling her eyes at his back she cleared the counter of empty bottles noticing that the crate that they kept empties in was overflowing. She hoisted the crate up balancing it on her hip and made her way to the back door to dump it but a slight bump in the wooden flooring caused her to trip. She was going to hit the floor but a strong pair of arms grabbed her waist preventing her from falling, a couple empty bottles clattered to the floor instead. Setting the crate on a nearby table to scoop up the fallen bottles before they got kicked across the bar, she saw the classic shine of the naval shoes, and the dull tan colour of the uniform that her eyes followed up until she met the face of  someone who had frequented her dreams for years, Bob. His lopsided smile and glasses that were slightly too big for his face were exactly like she remembered.

"Hiya Eddie, long time no see."

And just like that she was a goner. Again. 

Breath, breath, breath, she chanted over and over again in her head. It's just Bob.

"Oh hey Bob. I didn't see you there." She mentally smacked her palm into her face. Luckily he ignored her comment.

"Need a hand?" Eden sighed. Looks like there was no escaping it.

"Sure that'd be great actually." 

Bob grabbed the crate with ease and followed Eden out the back door. She indicated a spot for him to set down the crate and got distracted by him running his hands through his hair when he stood up. She probably looked like a fool standing there mouth slightly open, but she couldn't bring herself to care. 

"So how long have you been back in Mirimar?" he asked. Eden poked her head inside the back door seeing that it had slowed down a bit at the bar. She had a few minutes to spare. She nodded at Bob to follow her in to the back room.